General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
liquidmetal
    Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:36 pm

so I am trying to start my welding biz and I'm not sure how to price my first tig job It is an old salt spreader frame and it is very rusty and salty but I did get it tig welded and now getting ready to put reinforcements over the welds have about 2 hours in it now and probably another 2 putting on the reinforcements any ideas ??
NT Unique

Then charge for four hours..............

Maybe I'm not getting the gist of what your asking.
Your mad to quote a firm price on jobs like that, as they can turn pear shaped very quickly and then your out of pocket the time you spent on it.
For repair work on old things I give a rough quote then make them aware that all repairs are on a running clock. I explain that it could quickly become a bigger job and ask them to put down a price in labour that I have to stop and call them to get the go ahead to keep going.
Good luck with it.

Cheers
liquidmetal
    Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:36 pm

what kind of rates do some of you guys charge I guess is the question........ per hour rate
NT Unique

Ring around to all that will be your competitors, be suttle and find out what they charge. Compare your work against theirs and charge suitably. Being that your new you may want to undercharge a small amount to try and get the customers coming through the door, and make up with quantity first. Just don't undervalue your self. Seeing as we are more than likely in different countries it probably is not real relevent what I charge.

Cheers