General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
NT Unique

Hey guys
I build custom plate alloy boats, and can some times be inside hatches, under hulls, or in hulls where there is very little ventilation. After some periods of welding I find my self with industrial astmah (spelling??). I am in the market for a fresh air helmate, another welder that works for me part time has on of the new Speedglass positive pressure filtered air helmates, he reckons it is the most uncomfortable thing he has ever welded with.
So......what is everyone else using, and what do you think of it. I''m after opinion's on what seems most effective and importantly what is comfortable. Prices would be good too, and I'm not spending more than $2k.

Thanks in advance guys

Cheers
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

I have the oder speedglas adflo, 9002x which you can still buy. Its a good thing as I am in your situation, poor ventilation cramped. Some other guys have the new one 9100, they reckon its good. 2 things, The old ones are a bit heavy, up high on your head. The new ones seem very wide to me, ( the flex view version) bad for cramped areas. Call AWS and talk to the Northern Territory rep. They are pretty good guys and should be able to help you out.

http://www.awsupplies.com.au/pages/contact-us

I also have seen a Miller digital elite with air feed in the net, but never in person, so cant comment.

Mick
NT Unique

Thanks mike. I've only just recently seen the Miller units. I wonder if I could just purchase the pack and hose/helmet piece off of the miller, I am currently running a Viper helmet. However they must have spent all there R&D on the lens and the head harness was crap, it was so bad that I pulled it out and threw it away and retro-fitted the one from the miller into it. So if I could just get the hardware for the miller, I could possible fit it to my helmet.

Which brings up another question, are there units out there that can adapt to fit you existing helmet?

Has anyone out there got the Hunter fresh air flow set up?

Cheers

Hey there, I googled "powered respirators Australia" there were a few results including one that sits on your shoulders and fits under a welding mask. Not sure if good for Darwin. See if you can get a trial of an Adflo from speed glas, I reckon they're awesome. Under you 2 grand limit (just) but worth it.( I dont pay at the moment but i would if i had to.) They pop up on ebay occasionally. The Miller one is about $1900 with the shield. Not sure if you can get one separate.

Mick
NT Unique

Well I have purchased a Miller vortex system, they were on special for $1100 so after having a bit a look at it I couldn't say no. They seem about the same as the speedglas as far as size and componentry. The harness is alot better than the speedglas helmate, the guy working for me has the speedglas system so I'll be able to do actual comparisons instead of just speculating. I have not been a big fan of the miller digital helmates in the past as they only tend to last about a year before they crap themselves due to the amount of sweat that gets into the electronics, but the claim is that this has been improved on so we'll see. I reckon with the air flow going it should not be a problem, so I may have to restrict myself to only using the helmate when the forced air system is being used and have the Elliot Viper helmate for everything else.
I'll do a bit mor of a review once I compared them both.

Cheers George
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

I currently have a Speedglas 9100XX and like it. I wanted a powered air ventilation unit and the 3M Rep told me they had an add on unit coming out this past Fall. I was recently in contact with him and hopefully he will stop by and show me what they have. I sweat like a pig and need it for this reason as much as for positive pressure fume control.
I'll post here once I have seen what they can do for me. I really don't want to go for a whole new helmet as well.
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
Ultralow787

Well, The 3M Rep was in today to show me their new positive ventilation helmut. I'm not sure about it though. I didn't like the way you have to pull on these two elastic draw strings to snug up the boot that goes under your chin. Seemed kind of flimsy and a potential problem. Even with the wide view 9100XX module, I found the view was restricted compared to the existing unit I have that incorporates the same module. He had a distributor quote me $1800.00 plus taxes for it as well.

They have a flip up front feature that leaves you with a clear window for grinding, but the one they quoted me did not include this.

I'd like to see the Miller Digital Elite unit to compare.

Anyone have any experiences other than already posted?
Thanks
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

Hi there,

I believe that the Miller Digital Elite Titanium has similar flip front features to the speed glas 9100.

Mick
NT Unique

Yea the titanium model dose, I'm a bit old school and like to have a seperate shield/glasses for grinding so I didn't look into this feature much. Also I have found that with the speedglas flip up that you find yourself doing the nod to lower the flip up front, not a good habbit to get into.
The speedglas has a really uncomfortable helmet harness, unlike the miller. the overall feel of the two in terms of the fresh air function, I could not pick between them to be honest. The miller dose have the sholder straps in the harness for the parp pack, I thought this was a bonus.
I think the new miller digital elite has definatly improved in the clarity over the old units, up to par with the speedglas now. However I HATE the fact that you have to turn the miller helmets on every time you go to use it, my other helmets are automatic activation. It is a real pain with the PARP system as you pretty much have to remove the helmet to press the on switch if you have suited up and forgotten to turn it on before hand.
It will be interesting to see how long the batteries last in the new miller helmets, as the last one use to chew threw the batteries. And they aint cheap to only get a month or two out of them. Beats me how my Elliot Viper helmet has not one battery and is a sensational unit,but the miller needs two and they bearly last a couple months. Time will tell.
If I had to pick I'd definatly go for the Miller Vortex again, simply as they were nearly a grand cheaper than the Speedglas. But I'm sure that the special price will not last forever and then they will be much of a muchness. Miller has the better harness in the helmet and PARP pack, they both take batteries for the helmet, both appear to have great optics ( oh I did forget one thing the miller has a bigger viewing area for the lens ). It would probably come down to spare parts availability in the area you are at. Over here they are both very popular, mabye the speedglas slightly more.
If I remember I'll take some photos of the pair and post them up.
One last, what is with all the ridiculous graphics on the millers, I just want a plain helmet!!!! surly the graphics are more expensive to produce??? aparently not as to get a plain black was extra!!!!!!
Cheers for now
Ultralow787

NT,
Thanks for your review! I like the shoulder harness idea as well. I don't think having that battery pack and filtration unit hanging off your belt would be much fun over a whole day.
I have not seen the Miller unit up close yet, but I think the Speedglas helmet has better head gear straps and such. I'm happy in that respect with teh Speedglas 9100XX that I have now.
As far as you know, is that my only two choices for a PAPR? Speedglas or Miller?

Hi there,

There are many PAPR as you say how ever they are not all availible all over the world. I know Fronius have one and I think that Esab make one.

Mick
Ultralow787

Thanks Mick,
I contacted Fronius Canada and they informed me that they only sell direct. No Local Welding Supply distribution. I don't know if I like that idea. I think it might be hard to get replacement parts such as lenses.

Hi,

That does sound like a hassle. I am sure that there are alot of other brands out there but you've just got to hunt them down. With the speedglas pack, i have and i were it for very long periods in cramped conditions. I reckon the miller harness would be a pain if you are on hands and knees all day like me. I have the belt done up nice and tight and i think it acts like a bit of a back brace. I forget i m wearing it. Speedglas also make an air feed attachment if you have breathable compressed air availible. lighter but you have trail an air hose around. no good for cramped areas. As for the nodding, That makes me laugh when i see someone with an auto shield doing it. The reson you have one is so you can see what you are doing witb the lense down . lol. Hello neck trauma. Mick
NT Unique

Hi Mick
The miller unit have the same waist strap as the speedglas, but it just has the additional sholder harness for when your standing up all day. Like you said if your crawling around the waist harness needs to be tight. I actuall found that I have started removing the PAPR altogether and just draging it around with me when I have to lie on my back or get in under boat decks, the unit is just a little in the way sometimes.
I can see the validity of having the flip up screen on the helmate, I would not use it alot but in the last couple of days I needed to do a quick cut or back chip on an area and just left the welding helmate on, but if I had the flip up lens it would have been handy. I would still not have payed extra for the option though, I'm a tight arse though :D
I'll try and get some photos as promised soon

Cheers