General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Rogue04
    Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:52 pm

I have picked up welding after retiring from the navy but it has been sometime since welding anything good thing I can go back to the school to brush up put that GI Bill to good use. I recently purchased a Lincoln power mig 210mp. But not sure what size circuit breaker to buy for a 230v outlet. I know it's all about the amps. All I see on the back panel is 20A could be wrong just doesn't seem like a 20A breaker would work for a 230V circuit. Can anyone help?
Attachments
pic of back panel
pic of back panel
IMG_20160624_144959970.jpg (95.86 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Thanks for your service. 20 amp breakers are generally for 110v settings. Generally 220/230 volt is 50 amp breakers.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have that machine? I use it primarily on the 230 volt plug. Breakers are sized to protect the wire between the panel and the point of use. So you just have to make sure the breaker is equal to or larger than the minamum required breaker. I believe the minamum is 20 amps in order to make sure you can use the machine at full capacity without tripping the breaker. I have run mine one time on a 220 volt plug that was on a 15 amp breaker. I welded in a floor patch on a friends car. Used .023 wire and spent about 2 hours tacking and welding. Never had any problems but I wasn't running the machine maxed out either.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

The id plate says max current for 230v is 27 amps. Probably does not run at that like 308 says but I would size it above that as well as anything else on the circuit running at the same time like air compressor etc.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
dunkster
    Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:41 pm

One must always consider the wire running from the breaker to the outlet....both the gage size and how long the run is. Nothing good will come from too big a breaker coupled with too small of wire. Lots of info out there.
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Could get into a discussion about duty cycle/NEC de-rating etc. Easiest answer.....30amp double pole std. trip curve at 230V w/ #8 THWN.

And for the record...amperage has nothing to do with 1,2 or 3 pole molded case breakers. You can buy a 1.0 amp or 400 amp double pole breaker 600v
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla