General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Mick
  • Mick
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:26 pm

I know some of you have them!

Honestly, at home I have great welders, but my welding helmet is embarrassing. I cheaped out.
It's a cheap helmet I never should've bought, so I'm thinking of getting something different.

What helmet to get has been covered 100 times, so that's not really what I want to waste your time on.
BUT! I was looking at the Miller welding googles https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/gogg ... les-m30023

What's to say about stuff like that? Is it any good?
I've worked with guys, who used the real old school leather mask with non-auto darkening glass. But I've never gotten to ask someone how Millers modern product is.

Personally, I've only used helmets (passive helmets, speed glass helmets with and without air supply), but would the goggles be a good choice for use outside work/at home? Or is it more of a specialty product for those hard to reach joints, and then you go back to the ordinary helmet to finish the job?
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

These goggles were originally designed for out of position lower amperage welding due to its limited range of shades. I've heard they work really well. For home use it wouldn't probably be worth it. For the money you are better off getting a mid price auto dark helmet like the digital performance of digital elite. It also wouldn't be very good for outside like most auto dark helmets without the technology that picks up electromagnetic waves off of welding.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

Mick wrote: Or is it more of a specialty product for those hard to reach joints, and then you go back to the ordinary helmet to finish the job?
Hey Mick, yea I think your right about that, it's not something I'd want to wear for very long. Could be very useful in tight areas.
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Couple of people I know personaly from work have them. But they only break them out as needed. Don't know if it's just habit but they go back too there regular hoods as soon as they can.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Edgewalker
    Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Those are for going to ninjutsu practice after work.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

For the money they want for those, you could get a pretty decent helmet.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Mick
  • Mick
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks guys.

I'm guessing they get uncomfortable quickly. But using them for some ninjutsu is tempting :)
I'll just look at a regular helmet.