General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
SirRage
    Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:11 pm

Hey there,

I've got a standard pickup truck and I'd like to be able to transport a 120 CF cylinder of Oxygen and exchange it for a 120 CF cylinder of Argon at a local shop. I talked to the shop and they are willing to do it, but I have to get the cylinder there and back.

I can't strap them up right because they would be too top heavy, I imagine. So what other solutions are there? Do I need to wait till I get a back rack or something like that which will attach to the bed and allow me something to strap the cylinder to? Thanks for the input.

My LWS would sometimes deliver the bottles (in a pickup) laying down, it's my understanding that acetylene is the only gas you DON'T want to lay down.
Richard
Website
robtg
    Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:54 pm

You can safely lay them down and transport. With acetylene just let it set upright for a day before you use it.
Been doing that for 55 years with no mishap.
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

I copied my father in law and screwed (4) 2x2 boards together to lay the tanks on so they don't roll. When not in use it collapses. I run a ratchet strap over the tank to my tiedown points to keep it from sliding. As stated earlier, laying down bottles is not an issue, except acetylene.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (131.58 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

I have a F 150 with the tie down placements already on the box. This time when replacing the cylinders I tightened a strap across the box and straped the cyl to it, it never moved.
johnnynightstick
    Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:30 am

maker of things wrote:I copied my father in law and screwed (4) 2x2 boards together to lay the tanks on so they don't roll. When not in use it collapses. I run a ratchet strap over the tank to my tiedown points to keep it from sliding. As stated earlier, laying down bottles is not an issue, except acetylene.
Capture.PNG
Nice.
I've always stood the acetylene tanks up for 24 hours after transport on their side. Never had acetone in the hoses.

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk