General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

I have to build a bunch of galvanized down spouts for a customer. Has anybody welded rather than soldered? If so what filler or wire did you use?
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welding galvanized sucks on many levels, and I don't recommend it.

You will destroy the coating in the HAZ no matter what process you use, and will need to treat with a cold-galvanizing spray which will never quite match.

Solder is the way to go.

If you "must", don't even consider TIG. By the time you grind enough inside and out that it doesn't puke on you, you won't have anything to weld. It can be done with MIG with less prep work, but be prepared for the fumes.

Steve S
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

Yeh,, I've done a shitload of galvanized and it's always a pita. I've always drunk a little milk first, yes it does keep your stomach from getting weird. I was hoping that just maybe someone had some sort of miracle method for doing something other than soldering which I suck at.
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

The miracle is PVC downpipes.
Other than that, what Otto said.
Not what you wanted, but it is what it is.
Cheers
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Or SS. Like Otto said if you need to weld it use mig. I used to make transitions for the fans that go on grain bins. They were gavinized and welded solid. Brushing and useing cold galvanized is OK at best.
I have more questions than answers

Josh