General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
niftyweld
    Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:37 pm

when you feed the rod forward using both these methods, are you actually dipping into the pool, or are these methods just to gain more wire infront of youre hand so it doesnt get too close to the heat/torch? Thanks.
Looking for good deals in Welding Supplies
niftyweld

like it sticks to the pool and i have a hard time feeding it in easy...any ideas?
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

You are feeding or dabbing into the pool, if it is sticking turn your amps up or use smaller diameter filler.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

niftyweld wrote:like it sticks to the pool and i have a hard time feeding it in easy...any ideas?
What is the material you're welding that the wire "sticks"?
Richard
Website
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

I get the feeling that the ratio of heat to filler metal is off and the filler is cooling the puddle too much hence the "sticking".
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

A dab of filler into the pool should result in the filler wire instantly melting with no sticking at all.

If it is sticking, as others have mentioned, you are more than likely running your amps too low.

I've done a lot of experimentation recently (with aluminium), comparing how the finished bead looks using various different gauges of filler wire. Using similar amps but three different gauges of filler, the beads varies from flat and poorly defined (thin filler) to a little taller and more defined right up to tall with very defined ripples (thick filler).

Filler wire, especially thick filler wire, can have quite a dramatic effect in thickening and even freezing the puddle - the wire acts as a heat sink, after all.

If your filler is sticking, try more amps or perhaps thinner filler wire.

Kym
niftyweld

thank you thank you