General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

i know that many of you call 'tattoos' in welding are the burns you get, which leave a permanent scar, but this isnt that.

i'm at the moment 18,thinking of getting some tattoos in the future,i find them beautiful when done right,so i want to get many, most likely legs, arms and back. and i was wondering how do employers feel about people with tattoos, ive seen a similar thread on another forum, but i wanted to bring it over here as i find it to be an interesting topic. NO BS, if you where in charge of hiring people, how do you feel about a guy who walks into your office, shop or whatever with tattoos, for example, both legs tattooed, 2 sleeves on his arms, and a back tattoo aswell. (probably what i would like to do myself) is it a complete turn off or do you just care about how well he does his job?

what i seen many people on other forums say, which ill probably take that advice myself, is get tattoos that can be covered by jeans and a dress shirt (what i use to weld anyways) i.e no tattos on the upper neck region, hand or head. so that way in formal interviews (dress shirt) or when you weld (obviously wearing a long sleeve) they cant see it.

it seems to be alot of the old timers that dont like tattoos, i read someone came to that conclusion on the other forum's thread saying that back then there was the whole stigma behind it where it was only "biker gangs" and such that would get the tattoos.

any thoughts?

regards

noah
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Keep your face and neck clean and no problem.
DennisCA
    Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 am

I dunno if I am an oldtimer at 35 but I never liked tattoos, that's just personal preference however, but everyone and his dog has tattoos nowadays. Doesn't say violent or criminal to me, it says things like urban, well off, hipster. Probably has an office job and likes a band I've never heard of.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I have 2 full sleeves and I almost never have anyone have a problem with it. Tattoos are generally accepted these days but I will add that I don't have any on my neck or below what a buttoned shirt sleeve will hide. Neck tattoos are the kiss of death. Look my pic up in the Rogues Gallery. Bikers these days are seen as the good guys.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Myself, family members and friends have all worked where not showing the tattoos is the rule - make sure they can be covered.

I taught classes in county jail for a few years - lots of face, neck and hand tattoos there - it's how you will be viewed if you have them.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i always wanted to get a tattoo of a rooster hanging from a noose
on my calf. thus a cock that hangs below my knee....lol
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
jauguston
    Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:28 pm

If they are visible when you dress for a job interview you will NOT be high on the hire list. Just how it is.

Jim
Last edited by jauguston on Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

As an old timer, I haven't seen the logic in tattoos.

Is it because it makes one feel unique in this crowded world? Why go through the expense of disfiguring your body unless you think your body is unacceptable as it is? Piercing seems to follow the same thought process.

Of course, it is your body and you can do what you want but being with the "in crowd" is not being unique. Rather, it is being a sheep.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

A friend of mine made a mistake. A mistake that was going to send him to prison. Not able to live with the judgement of society, he took his own life. I have a tattoo to honor his memory. My wife survived the most heinous abusive childhood, so bad that her therapist sought therapy herself while treating my wife. For reason l will keep to myself, frogs symbolize safety for my wife. I proudly wear my frog tattoo to remind her that l will protect her from harm.
motox

Re: how do you guys feel about tattoos?
Postby sedanman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:29 am

A friend of mine made a mistake. A mistake that was going to send him to prison. Not able to live with the judgement of society, he took his own life. I have a tattoo to honor his memory. My wife survived the most heinous abusive childhood, so bad that her therapist sought therapy herself while treating my wife. For reason l will keep to myself, frogs symbolize safety for my wife. I proudly wear my frog tattoo to remind her that l will protect her from harm.

LIKE.........
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Jim FLinchbaugh
    Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:56 pm

I am not a tatoo fan, but, I dont have to be. If you want one get one.
Inked women are a turn off for me, big time.
What I really dislike is the idjits that looked like their face got gangbanged by a tackle box.
Least honorable

GWD wrote:As an old timer, I haven't seen the logic in tattoos.

Is it because it makes one feel unique in this crowded world? Why go through the expense of disfiguring your body unless you think your body is unacceptable as it is? Piercing seems to follow the same thought process.

Of course, it is your body and you can do what you want but being with the "in crowd" is not being unique. Rather, it is being a sheep.
Personally, I don't find the joy in what many people do. I.e drink, smoke, partying. I am more to myself and as a result I have money that I wouldn't be able to spend otherwise, and I find tattoos amazing, to me it's an investment of having something you will love on you for the rest of your life.

Noah
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Remember at 22 a butterfly on a chicks back is cool! But somewhere between there and 52 it becomes a Pteradactle.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Slight thread detour.

Can't comment on the Fab Shop environment but I work in Media and tatts are everywhere. No-one so much as looks twice...sleeves, neck, face, whatever.

But I'm surrounded by Designers and every time I see something I like...I see something I like even more the next week, so concerned that anything I commit to my skin I'll be well and truly over in a year or so (we are all different people at, say, 40 than we are at 22).

In addition to this, since the Tattoo Tsunami hit with full force a few years ago, as a person with no tatts at all I now feel like more of an individual than those who are covered in them! In the studio where I work most often, women and men, I am one of only two without any tattoos.

Kym
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Least honorable wrote:i know that many of you call 'tattoos' in welding are the burns you get, which leave a permanent scar, but this isnt that.

i'm at the moment 18,thinking of getting some tattoos in the future,i find them beautiful when done right,so i want to get many, most likely legs, arms and back. and i was wondering how do employers feel about people with tattoos, ive seen a similar thread on another forum, but i wanted to bring it over here as i find it to be an interesting topic. NO BS, if you where in charge of hiring people, how do you feel about a guy who walks into your office, shop or whatever with tattoos, for example, both legs tattooed, 2 sleeves on his arms, and a back tattoo aswell. (probably what i would like to do myself) is it a complete turn off or do you just care about how well he does his job?

what i seen many people on other forums say, which ill probably take that advice myself, is get tattoos that can be covered by jeans and a dress shirt (what i use to weld anyways) i.e no tattos on the upper neck region, hand or head. so that way in formal interviews (dress shirt) or when you weld (obviously wearing a long sleeve) they cant see it.

it seems to be alot of the old timers that dont like tattoos, i read someone came to that conclusion on the other forum's thread saying that back then there was the whole stigma behind it where it was only "biker gangs" and such that would get the tattoos.

any thoughts?

regards

noah
Well hell fire. Since your house and car are paid for and you have no credit card debt either I say GO FOR IT. Lacking that, I'd say it's a very poor choice(I'm being nice--er here). No. Not even if it's free. You'll understand in 30 years or so.
Hire you ? There's more involved than worrying about some tatts.
Oh. If it's on your face or neck you're an idiot. GTFO of my shop. Por favor :mrgreen:
Least honorable

Antorcha wrote:
Least honorable wrote:i know that many of you call 'tattoos' in welding are the burns you get, which leave a permanent scar, but this isnt that.

any thoughts?

regards

noah
Well hell fire. Since your house and car are paid for and you have no credit card debt either I say GO FOR IT. Lacking that, I'd say it's a very poor choice(I'm being nice--er here). No. Not even if it's free. You'll understand in 30 years or so.
Oh. If it's on your face or neck you're an idiot. GTFO of my shop. Por favor :mrgreen:
i know they wont look as good in 30 years, but lets be honest, neither will i right? so might aswell age with memories, and moments you love, and with kickass art on your skin.
exnailpounder

Least honorable wrote:
Antorcha wrote:

any thoughts?

regards

noah
i know they wont look as good in 30 years, but lets be honest, neither will i right? so might aswell age with memories, and moments you love, and with kickass art on your skin.
I am 53 YO and I just got another tat on my forearm( a coverup). Some of my work is 30 years old and looks as good as the day I had it put on. There is no one other than you that is more worth living for so I say make your choices in life and get on with living because time goes really fast. Scary fast.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Tattoos are a bit like real estate...

"Location, location, location." As already stated, you should be able to completely conceal them in a reasonable dress shirt.

"Curb appeal." Anything that shows when in short sleeves should be tasteful. I.e. not gaudy, sexual, or otherwise offensive.

They are very common among younger welders (I'm 48, for perspective), and should not pose an obstacle if the simple rules of taste are followed.

Personally, I have no feelings for or against them. I actually have a small one that no one has ever noticed, in the palm of my left hand. I was asked by a friend if I could make a tattoo gun once when I was about 16 or seventeen, and I can't resist a challenge. I wrote "U.S.A." in the palm of my left hand just to test it (I was quite intoxicated when I finished the gun). That gun then went on to make many crappy tattoos that I have no doubt are regretted by any recipients still living...

Steve S
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Waste of money........but that's just me.
Least honorable

Otto Nobedder wrote:Tattoos are a bit like real estate...

"Location, location, location." As already stated, you should be able to completely conceal them in a reasonable dress shirt.

"Curb appeal." Anything that shows when in short sleeves should be tasteful. I.e. not gaudy, sexual, or otherwise offensive.

They are very common among younger welders (I'm 48, for perspective), and should not pose an obstacle if the simple rules of taste are followed.

Personally, I have no feelings for or against them. I actually have a small one that no one has ever noticed, in the palm of my left hand. I was asked by a friend if I could make a tattoo gun once when I was about 16 or seventeen, and I can't resist a challenge. I wrote "U.S.A." in the palm of my left hand just to test it (I was quite intoxicated when I finished the gun). That gun then went on to make many crappy tattoos that I have no doubt are regretted by any recipients still living...

Steve S
This quite helped considering I might get a gory/horror tattoo (maybe) or maybe get a PG version of it, still a long time til it comes so a good amount of time to think about it, thanks for your help Otto :D
exnailpounder

motox wrote:Re: how do you guys feel about tattoos?
Postby sedanman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:29 am

LIKE.........
Thats pretty awesome craig. Your wife is a very lucky lady. Even if she has to endure your above the knee hanging cock...Are you Irish? :lol:
motox

jeff
German
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
motox

but the Rooster might be Irish
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder

I am German too but I think I got some Irish blood in me if you get my drift ;) :lol:
exnailpounder

motox wrote:but the Rooster might be Irish
You would have to lift up his feathers to find out :lol: