General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

if your arm bends automatically around 4 or 4:30 every day,
you might have some Irish blood. i suspect this
is the case...lol
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

motox wrote:if your arm bends automatically around 4 or 4:30 every day,
you might have some Irish blood. i suspect this
is the case...lol
Thats too scary craig...I just sat down at the computer with my first(of many) beer for the day. Dang my wife told me to put tape over my camera on this laptop but I thought she was full of it :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Oilman
    Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Spend your money on a fishing pole. :D

Seriously, I don't like them on women. My ma calls them tramp stamps. Guess I'm old fashioned. I would just ask myself if it is just a fad to follow...My daughter got one on her back "just to piss you off" she said. I just shrugged my shoulders. I have more important things to spend money on.
1969 Idealarc 250
Miller 200 MIG
Everlast 200DV
Micro welder

Google tattoo removal, big business, must be a demand for it.
Richard
Website
plantwelder
    Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:15 pm

i don't have any tattoos, nowadays I think that makes me the individualist. It cracks me up seeing all of these near-enough identical tats on people trying to "look different".
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

plantwelder wrote:these near-enough identical tats on people trying to "look different".
there are many,many more reasons people get tattoo, to permanently put something meaningful, or weather its just art they love, you should look closer and keep an open mind before assuming, the people who do it because they love the art far outweigh those who do it to 'look different' or to fit in a gang or anything along those lines.

regards
noah
exnailpounder

plantwelder wrote:i don't have any tattoos, nowadays I think that makes me the individualist. It cracks me up seeing all of these near-enough identical tats on people trying to "look different".
Near identical tats? Do you check them out so well that you can tell that? I have yet to see 2 people with the same ink...in 53 years...Could you elaborate?
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

My wife has a mirror image of my tattoo. Does that count?
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

My wife has a mirror image of my tattoo. Does that count?
plantwelder

Near identical tats? Do you check them out so well that you can tell that? I have yet to see 2 people with the same ink...in 53 years...Could you elaborate?[/quote]

Well I don't bend down with a magnifying glass, but yes, there are a lot of very similar tats out there - I did say near identical. The original question was "how do you guys feel about tattoos", I didn't realise the only answer allowed is "yes, they are fantastic as artwork and examples of self expression". At the end of the day, the wearer is only paying to wear someone else's artwork, but then, each to their own, including opinions.
exnailpounder

There are many answers to the question the OP asked but he said nothing about ridiculing others that you don't agree with did he? Obviously you don't like tattoos and that's fine but to ridicule those that do like them...well...And as far as wearing someone else's artwork..Do art collectors paint their own masterpieces and buy and display them or do famous artists create beautiful works of art for the whole world to enjoy? Art masterpieces by famous artists sell for millions of dollars. My friend is a tattoo artist, and a good one, and there probably isn't a welder alive on Earth that makes the kind of money he does.
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

If, when you shave, you are shaving over some of your tats, well, thats a bit too much, , , , imho.

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
plantwelder

exnailpounder wrote:There are many answers to the question the OP asked but he said nothing about ridiculing others that you don't agree with did he? Obviously you don't like tattoos and that's fine but to ridicule those that do like them...well...And as far as wearing someone else's artwork..Do art collectors paint their own masterpieces and buy and display them or do famous artists create beautiful works of art for the whole world to enjoy? Art masterpieces by famous artists sell for millions of dollars. My friend is a tattoo artist, and a good one, and there probably isn't a welder alive on Earth that makes the kind of money he does.
Don't get too bent out of shape, my original bit was meant light heartedly, not to ridicule everyone with a tattoo. But hey, you're right, they're fine art and right up there with the Mona Lisa. Don't forget to let us all know how much you make when you sell one of your tattoos on to a collector.
exnailpounder

You got it!
Least honorable

plantwelder wrote: not to ridicule everyone with a tattoo. But hey, you're right, they're fine art and right up there with the Mona Lisa. Don't forget to let us all know how much you make when you sell one of your tattoos on to a collector.
[/quote]
id value ink more than the mona lisa to a certain extent sir, if im being honest if the mona lisa got burnt or stolen tomorrow i wouldnt bat an eye, because i just cant relate to it, and to be honest i dont really care about it. on the other hand if (hypothetically speaking) tattoos could be removed from the skin overnight, i would be much more devastated by that due to the memories that they are related to and the artwork i chose oppose to the mona lisa who has a value slapped on it that i cant see it being worth nearly that much. NOTE: not saying mona lisa isnt art by any means, just saying that i cant find a way to relate to it in any way shape or form so to me it might aswell be a 20$ painting at the flea market someone haggles down to 12$ with a bag of chips.

also, i never liked art hanging on the wall, i didnt see the appeal to it, but i can very well understand why other like it and use it.
you might like to have a family book with pictures for memories and art in a frame hanging on a wall, while I in the other hand prefer to have important memories tattooed onto me, i dont find the appeal into bashing what you consider art and through what medium you express it, or what and how you do to keep memories. so my question to you is, where do you find the appeal to do just that, bash what others do or how they express themselves?

regards
noah
plantwelder

Noah, don't take me so seriously. But you did ask the original question, so you must have realised you mightn't like all the answers. Go for it if that's what you really want.
Least honorable

plantwelder wrote: But you did ask the original question, so you must have realised you mightn't like all the answers. .
faiyly decent point, i didnt mind your opinion, i just didnt like the part where you said all tattoos where nearly identical and people only do it to try to stand out, because (and i dont seem to be the only one thinking this) it seemed you where going out of your way to insult others.
plantwelder

Well, I wasn't setting out to offend, just making what I mistakenly thought was a light hearted comment. So apologies, let's move on, don't take it to heart, let's get back to welding.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Then again there's a reason there called tribal arm bands. Some people just want to be part of a tribe.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I might have a gong tattooed on my arm... I hear it's popular these days to get a Chinese cymbal...
;)
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

:lol:
I have more questions than answers

Josh
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:I might have a gong tattooed on my arm... I hear it's popular these days to get a Chinese cymbal...
;)
Oh that was bad.. :lol:
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

I'm a little late to the discussion. Face and neck tattoos and your definitely out. Women with tattoos in the nether regions that are willing to leave them uncovered are definitely in. All others are case by case.
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
J.Fitz
    Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:56 pm

Well kid,
i'm probably the last person in the forum you'd wanna ask for welding advice, but tattoos i can help ya with!

I'm a piercer by trade and have been in the business for 18 1/2 years...15 1/2 of that i owned a tattoo/piercing shop. I opened the shop in sept of 2000. at the time, i didn't have anything on my forearms and wasn't sure if i should. even as a shop owner i wasn't sure if i should go below the elbow...if i did the tattooing it would have been different. after we were open a year and i felt more comfortable, i went ahead and got work on my forearms and neck...but nothing i couldn't cover with a dress shirt if things changed drastically in my life. years later, when i got my 3rd house i had my knuckles tattooed because at that point i felt financially comfortable and because i don't have any intentions of working for anyone else for the rest of my life.

so to put this into perspective, you're just now about to enter the job market...anything visible outside of a t-shirt can possibly cost you a job at some point in the near future. get a job, bust your ass and prove yourself and in a few years (assuming you stick with welding) you might consider visible tattoos because your work should be able to speak for itself by then. later in life, when you are a LOT more sure of your place in the world, hands and neck might be an option for you. if you're not the boss/owner at that point you need to ask permission...you're the face of a business and if it's not yours the owner might get pissed.

Another thing to take into consideration is where you live. tattoos are a helluva lot more common these days, but the acceptance is a lot higher in major metropolitan areas and/or places with a younger average age.

Now for the part that no one else touched on...MAKE SURE YOU GO TO A PROFESSIONAL SHOP!!!! I cannot possibly emphasize that enough. i've seen so many turd tattoos over the years it's unreal. besides the possibility of a terrible blob on your body, people working out of their houses are almost never familiar with "universal precautions" (google that) and the risk of blood borne pathogens is astronomical in unregulated environments! also, LOOK AT PORTFOLIOS!!!! as was mentioned earlier, tattoos are extremely popular these days...in some places there are a dozen shops within a few blocks. if you don't absolutely love the work in an artists portfolio, keep looking. find an artist you're comfortable with. also, keep in mind that, "good tattoos aren't cheap, and cheap tattoos aren't good". a good artist can charge anywhere from $1-200/hr and some of the best can charge a hell of a lot more!

If you (or anyone) has any tattoo related questions, feel free to pm me.

hope this helped a bit!
Least honorable

J.Fitz wrote: Now for the part that no one else touched on...MAKE SURE YOU GO TO A PROFESSIONAL SHOP!!!!

hope this helped a bit!
it actually helped a good amount, you confirmed what i thought, to get places that could be easily covered up until you get a secured job, then you may move to more visible locations,and i looked around alot, and i think ill stick to b&g realism, theres a tattoo artist in montreal named anam qureshi and she does absolutely amazing work with black and grey realism. i did a good amount of research for artists i would eventually like to get tattoed by and as you said, "good tattoos aren't cheap, and cheap tattoos aren't good" she charges about 1200-1400 a session for sleeves.

noah