General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

You always hear about aluminum oxide requiring 3 times the amount of heat to melt that clean aluminum does. Has anyone got any info on the effect of oxidized steel? When welding with oxy-fuel, if you stop and then try to restart, the oxidized metal seems to take a lot more heat to get a puddle going (sometimes it is darn near impossible). I can't seem to find any detailed info on this.
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

I have noticed that when bronze welding cast iron. Wanted to smooth out a lumpy bead but it took forever to melt. gave up in the end.

On the steel it seems strange because science tells us that steel oxide melts /burns at a lower temp than steel. Crazy. Do a test where you grind or file the end of your last run to shiny and see if that helps.

Mick
jedison
    Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:51 am

i am actually currently going to try different methods to figure this out too as i have been doing some research on this myself and i was not able to find the proper answer and detail to this maybe it really takes someone to actually try things out. i will keep you posted when i am done and see what happens/which is a more effective method on this.hope my learning are well enough to be able to go through the process successfully as i am really a curious beaver. wish me luck!:)
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

I've recently found that even on new steel, it takes an extreme amount of time/heat to melt. It makes no sense because the flame temp is close to 6,000 deg.F and the steel is supposed to melt around 2,500 to 2,700 deg.F. I tried grinding off the heavy mill scale and it still take way too much heat to melt. Very strange!
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set