General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

So I came down with my band to Florida and went to Disney and universal. I along with all my buddies noticed that paid attention to the opposite of everybody else. Instead of the ride I looked at the welds and the basic fab job done. All the handrails and ride supports. Of course I couldn't just notice them I had to judge them. And of course with this inspection came with me not going on certain things due to their sketchiness of welds. There was also some fantastic welds. Anybody else have this as a habit.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:So I came down with my band to Florida and went to Disney and universal. I along with all my buddies noticed that paid attention to the opposite of everybody else. Instead of the ride I looked at the welds and the basic fab job done. All the handrails and ride supports. Of course I couldn't just notice them I had to judge them. And of course with this inspection came with me not going on certain things due to their sketchiness of welds. There was also some fantastic welds. Anybody else have this as a habit.
Totally normal. I look at the welds on everything. I get to fix alot of the ones that some hack and tack didn't give a shit about. Hell we even look at the welds on the space shuttle. What instrument do you play? PS,,,Disneyland sux :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

Farmwelding wrote:So I came down with my band to Florida and went to Disney and universal. I along with all my buddies noticed that paid attention to the opposite of everybody else. Instead of the ride I looked at the welds and the basic fab job done. All the handrails and ride supports. Of course I couldn't just notice them I had to judge them. And of course with this inspection came with me not going on certain things due to their sketchiness of welds. There was also some fantastic welds. Anybody else have this as a habit.
Sounds normal to me. I can't get near a weld without inspecting it. And yes, I have not gone on rides because I didn't like the welds.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
exnailpounder

ldbtx wrote:
Sounds normal to me. I can't get near a weld without inspecting it. And yes, I have not gone on rides because I didn't like the welds.
I have seen some of the most God-awful welds...and they hold! I have seen decent looking welds crack or tear out and I can't figure it out...Somebody really does watch out for us I think.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Totally normal. I look at the welds on everything. I get to fix alot of the ones that some hack and tack didn't give a shit about. Hell we even look at the welds on the space shuttle. What instrument do you play? PS,,,Disneyland sux :lol:
I play trumpet. Why you play anything? Ps I'm not a fan of amisement parks but I decided I should go just to say I did so that way my future wife can't tell me I haven't tried it. What do you mean space shuttle?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder

Farmwelding wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
I play trumpet. Why you play anything? Ps I'm not a fan of amisement parks but I decided I should go just to say I did so that way my future wife can't tell me I haven't tried it. What do you mean space shuttle?
I play guitar,,,doesn't everybody??... I played trombone in highschool...don't tell anyone....we have pictures of some welds from the motor of one of the shuttles in the "how do these welds look" thread that we totally hi-jacked. probably better welds on the tilt-a-whirl where you are.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

I also look at the welds on everything, everywhere I go.

Particularly disappointed with most of the handrail work I see in public spaces. Surely civic pride should dictate that the welding on a handrail at least looks better than something produced by a pigeon with an upset stomach?

Kym
FoxZulu
    Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:19 am

Yeah, me too. On my bike, I know all the welds - some I really like and some I can't stand to look at :cry: I even park it in the garage so that I can't see the ones I don't like. Trouble is, they're all probably better than mine :?
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I don't know if they are still down there, but the large instruments were built by the shop that I work for back in the day.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Me too. I especially look at motorcycle frames and sub-frames and see some ugly welds more often than not. And things like pressure washers, lawn mowers, and other China made steel products mig welded also leave a lot to be desired. :o
exnailpounder

electrode wrote:Me too. I especially look at motorcycle frames and sub-frames and see some ugly welds more often than not. And things like pressure washers, lawn mowers, and other China made steel products mig welded also leave a lot to be desired. :o
My buddy brought me over a paint sprayer that had a broken frame. It actually had a huge bubble in the weld that caused it to snap. I know we get inclusions and porosity but I have never seen a bubble in a weld before, Them Chineses are innovators
ain't they?