General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
cherwolf
    Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 am

Hi,

I have come to an idea of ordering myself some aramid fabric http://www.fibermaxcomposites.com/shop/ ... -c-22.html and giving it to some sewer in order to get some welding pants, that fit and prevents burning holes in my pants. (No apron) Any experience with this material is appreciated. (I am aware of kevlar shears to cut such fibers)
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

cherwolf wrote:Hi,

I have come to an idea of ordering myself some aramid fabric http://www.fibermaxcomposites.com/shop/ ... -c-22.html and giving it to some sewer in order to get some welding pants, that fit and prevents burning holes in my pants. (No apron) Any experience with this material is appreciated. (I am aware of kevlar shears to cut such fibers)
Save yourself some money and buy some FR pants or FR coveralls. They are still expensive but nothing like what you want to do. I wear an FR long sleeve shirt when I mig (especially overhead) and I have never burned a hole in it.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Or leather. They make chaps for welding. I don't think Kevlar will hold up to hot welding spatter.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cherwolf

exnailpounder wrote: Save yourself some money and buy some FR pants or FR coveralls. They are still expensive but nothing like what you want to do. I wear an FR long sleeve shirt when I mig (especially overhead) and I have never burned a hole in it.
Well, I had ones with leather cover on upper part of legs, but most of time I weld in sitting position, then have to move around a bit and then sit again, spatter just burns the cotton parts. Apron is not comfy for those movements I perform. Have complete leather welding jacket, that is awesomly great no probs.

FR stuff is resistant until you wash them couple times. Aramid is not kevlar, as specs state, it has no melting point, but is UV degradable. I just want those molten metal balls keep rolling down on the ground. As I assume it might not be so expensive as one might think, 2 square meters of aramid costs 30 Eur, ~20 to the sewer(Eastern Europe), but I am afraid of all this might turn out as waste of time and $$$. Shall I make small apron just to cover groin and finito?

P.S.
A square meter of aramid k165p fabric weights 160 grams. Ultra lightweight stuff.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Maybe nomex then. I have a pair of coveralls that followed me home from the refinery and they are far from new and I have never burn them either. I wash my FR shirts and they work as good as they did new. Good FR is in the fabric, not just a coating.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Poland308

Cut a small blanket out of this stuff.

http://adlinsulflex.com/fire-blankets/p ... ket-32-oz/

They had rolls of it at one of the places I worked it's great stuff.

Josh
cherwolf

exnailpounder wrote:Maybe nomex then. I have a pair of coveralls that followed me home from the refinery and they are far from new and I have never burn them either. I wash my FR shirts and they work as good as they did new. Good FR is in the fabric, not just a coating.
Nomex is just a DuPont trademark for aramid(the same stuff).

Everything here is twice as expensive comparing to States and income is twice or more times less than you guys have.
I am 10000km away from uSA, thus have to find tips and tricks to solve my idea, while keeping low $.
Poland308

You might be able to buy leather from any place that makes leather products. They usually have scraps and large pieces with defects like color or scratches they sell cheap.

Josh
cherwolf

Poland308 wrote:You might be able to buy leather from any place that makes leather products. They usually have scraps and large pieces with defects like color or scratches they sell cheap.
http://www.hards.lv/lv/darba-apgerbi-23 ... zmers-2xl/

Problem solved! :ugeek:
Poland308

That's what my chaps look like except mine only cover the front. Those look nice.

Josh