General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

I learned something the past few weeks about using my Lincoln 210 MP off of my Kohler 5.0 generator. It'll handle the load after the arc is going but when you start the arc at more than 21.0 volts it pulls the generator down so hard it cuts the welder off. I bought the machine on the recommendation from a generator guy around here but he didn't realize how much strain the welder put on the generator on the initial arc. Just a little thing I thought I'd pass on to someone considering using this kind of set up. Make sure even thought the generator can carry the load the initial arc could be too much. Also having a voltage regulator on the generator is a plus. It'll keep you from having to up size your generator after you've already bought one. :lol:
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

That really sucks. I guess you aren't doing to heavy of welding with that limit. It's a shame there is isn't a cold start feature for you start at 20 V and then increase until it gets to the heat you set up. That wouldn't be ideal but it's better than nothing. :lol:
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The most important number for matching a generator to a welder is the maximum inrush current. On the electric spec decal on the back, it may say I.max, Max ir.I, or something similar. It's the initial current it draws when striking up, similar to the start current for an electric motor being higher than it's running current.

Steve S
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:The most important number for matching a generator to a welder is the maximum inrush current. On the electric spec decal on the back, it may say I.max, Max ir.I, or something similar. It's the initial current it draws when striking up, similar to the start current for an electric motor being higher than it's running current.

Steve S
Very true - and for his welder the I.max is 27 amps at 230v. Or 6210 watts.

I'd bet he would need at 7500+ continuous watt generator to make the engine lag a non-issue.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
jroark

You're right Dave.
jroark

So today I upgraded to the 7.5 model as oppose to the 5.0 I had. They maxed the welder out and the 7.5 didn't flinch so I'm glad to have it now.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Good to hear you got it sorted out - more power is always good :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.