General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Clean earth, nup.
Clean metal where weld will go, nup
Correct setting on mig, nup.
Good to go, apparently.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
pscampsr
    Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:27 am

WerkSpace wrote:If you happen to have 300 hours of spare time, 7,000 American nickels
and the desire to make 35,000 welds, then you can make a nickel couch.
This is what you call "Art Nuvo". I think it is quite good. There is an artist in Spain welding thousands of nuts (as in bolts) and selling it for mucho denario. This one starts with mucho denario and should be worth quite a bit more.
PSCampSr

America will be free until the electorate discovers that it can feed at the public trough.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The line in the picture is a copper line ( crazy support ). It's the main line off a double tank set up that feeds a regulator station in a food plant. That line leaves the pic goes about 8 ft unsupported and is then tied to my ammonia condenser. Just a little vibration. No one else sees a problem.
image.jpg
image.jpg (44.83 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.98 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (32.2 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (44.32 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (52.93 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Miller ??? :mrgreen:
Brett Henderson
    Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:37 pm

Thats just a slap in the face to professional welders
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I just realized... That piece of uni-strut the copper is sitting on is galvanized...

Triple-whammy! Metal on metal, dissimilar harness metal without padding, and copper on zinc in the equation.

"What the hell were you thinking" indeed!

Something tells me Praxair would shit to realize that uni-strut was welded (or just set directly on) to the vacuum-jacket of their customer station.

Steve S
Poland308

Agreed. Worst part is all the SS tube on the skid is welded nice and pretty. And they used a standard hardware store compression fittings for a couple of the copper joints.

Josh
Poland308

But the rubber cap on top is awesome :D

Josh
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

Some great pictures. I especially like the trailer hitch on the pickup towing that heavy flatbed. John.
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

This thread is giving me panic attacks.

Steve, could you inform me what's so bad about copper on galvy? I've not yet encountered this, and would like to know what to say when I do.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

nathan wrote:This thread is giving me panic attacks.

Steve, could you inform me what's so bad about copper on galvy? I've not yet encountered this, and would like to know what to say when I do.
When water runs off the copper piping to a zinc surface it will react and corrode. Galvanic reaction I believe is the term...
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
nathan

I've heard something like that happens between stainless and aluminum, right?

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Yes - exactly - that's why when you see a crimped ferrule on a wire rope it will have an aluminum one on a galvanized wire but a copper one if it's a stainless wire.
nathan

I. Love. This. Site.
There's so much to learn!

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
Poland308

All metals that are not the same will erode from this process. There is a chart for the metals and there galvanic points the farther the numbers are apart the greater the reaction. It's a form of electalisys. Like electro plating in reverse. I'll look for the chart later and post it on its own thread.

Josh

Voltaire invented the modern battery cell using copper and zinc disks with a conductive fluid (vinegar, I believe, but I forget and don't feel like looking it up) saturating paper placed in between. The same reaction happens without the paper, but more quickly degrades the materials. Be aware that acid rain is enough to begin the reaction. You can use galvanized uni-strut with copper lines, if your uni-strut clamps are insulated, and protected from weather.

Steve S
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Yeah.. Galvanic corrosion can be nasty as it can rapidly erode and eat away materials that people expect to 'not rust' like alu or even stainless steel (eg. when mixed with titanium parts).

Also something to look out for on structures when using alu or stainless parts on a steel frame as water, especially mixed with (road) salt, creates an electric cell and this starts the reaction between the dis-similar metals where the less noble one gets eaten away if they are in the same quantities.

Relative size difference is important though. A galvanised big I-beam (less noble) with some stainless bolts (more noble) through it won't react much on the contact area, but if you were to fasten a stainless beam with some galvanised bolts then the bolt heads will rot off in no-time flat when exposed to water regularly.

When attaching dis-similar metals together in potentially 'wet' conditions it's good practice to use some sort of insulating material (eg. nylon spacers or sheet, paint/powdercoat, etc.) or a special coating or jointing compound like Tef-Gel or Duralac to prevent or delay the onset of galvanic corrosion.

Bye, Arno.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:

Voltaire invented the modern battery cell using copper and zinc disks with a conductive fluid (vinegar, I believe, but I forget and don't feel like looking it up) saturating paper placed in between. The same reaction happens without the paper, but more quickly degrades the materials. Be aware that acid rain is enough to begin the reaction. You can use galvanized uni-strut with copper lines, if your uni-strut clamps are insulated, and protected from weather.

Steve S
That Steve is SO DARN SMART! To think ... I taught him everything he doesn't know
Gary

Poland 308 put up a galvanic chart in it's own topic. A good read, here:

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=2&t=8241

Steve S

Boomer63 wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:

Steve S
That Steve is SO DARN SMART! To think ... I taught him everything he doesn't know
Gary
The stuff I don't know would fill a book that makes the OED look like a pocket reference.

Mortal man will never know it all. Ten lifetimes won't take two pages out of that book.

Steve S
Poland308

The real trick is to learn more than you forget.

Josh

Poland308 wrote:The real trick is to learn more than you forget.
"like"

I feel a day where I didn't learn something new was a waste of what they pay me, and a waste of my time.

Steve S
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

The stuff I don't know would fill a book that makes the OED look like a pocket reference.

Mortal man will never know it all. Ten lifetimes won't take two pages out of that book.

Steve S[/quote]

It's clear to me you haven't met my brother in law.

Bill, I love the "know it all" types. I get great entertainment from them. Often, their "knowledge" is simply belief based on something they've heard. It took me a long time to learn to nod and smile, as listening is usually more entertaining than arguing, and you can't win the argument with that type anyway. As Mark Twain said, "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion, still."

Steve S
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

A couple they sent me to fix last summer.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.