General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Mrkil wrote:...Weld held better than the erw did ;)
That's the whole idea huh? :lol: Good job
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Mrkil
    Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:04 pm

So today was my last class.
I finished off by trying my hand at Al tig
Here's my results from today.

1/8" lap, T and outside corner

And a box that can hold water for the tea her to store stuff in lol

Over the last 5 months I have managed to go from no welding experience to having 10 cwb tickets.
I managed to get
Smaw 1g 2g 3g
Gmaw 1g 2g 3g
Fcaw 1g 2g 3g
Gtaw 1g

Now the hard part comes......
Trying to find a job
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Mrkil.

Congrats.

Did you pick up oxy-actylene torch cutting too?

Alexa
Mrkil

Thanks
We did OA cutting and scarfing, Plasma and blueprint reading
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Mrkil.

Did you also get any experience with the welding codes?
If so, which ones?

Any introduction to NDT?

Alexa
Mrkil

We did cover ndt and ndt but only in theory. We only did bend test in practical.

All our theory was based on the Larry Jeffus books.
All of the codes we dealt with where CWB.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

There's actually a distinction between NDE and NDT.

NDE (non-destructive examination) looks at welds, materials, and structures without loading them in any way. This includes, but is not limited to, visual, x-ray, ultrasound, magnetic particle testing, and dye-penetrant.

NDT (non-destructive testing) generally "loads" the sample in a manner similar to it's use. This can be as simple as a soap-bubble test (pressure the system, soap it down, and look for bubbles). "Hydro" testing or retesting a pressure vessel is common; exposing a vessel and/or piping system to some percentage over it's rated pressure is common, and I do it a lot. Helium leak testing is similar... The sample is either pressurized or evacuated (in my case both) to a working pressure/vacuum, helium introduced, and a tuned mass-spectrometer used to find leaks. There's even an "audiometric" test, where the sample is vibrated at a range of expeced "in use" frequencies, and monitored for resonance.

To summarize, NDE is "taking a look". NDT is "trying it out".

Steve S
Mrkil

Yeah sorry i mis-typed it says ndt and ndt but should have read nde and ndt.

I caught that, Mrkil,

I knew what you meant. My post was because I've seen posts where people don't separate the two, and may not realize there's a difference. It was actually your typo that reminded me. :?

Steve S
Mrkil

It would have been nice to have gotten to see some acid tests to gauge how well we where penetrating. Sometimes we would feel like we where flying blind.

Btw a big thanks to everyone on the forum and to Jodi for offering so much help to everybody. The videos he has posted made it much easier to know what to expect when I started welding.

Mrkil wrote:It would have been nice to have gotten to see some acid tests to gauge how well we where penetrating. Sometimes we would feel like we where flying blind.

Btw a big thanks to everyone on the forum and to Jodi for offering so much help to everybody. The videos he has posted made it much easier to know what to expect when I started welding.
I will echo that. Jody has created something worth keeping here. This is a great community, with a wide range of strengths.

Steve S