General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Shastri11
    Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:30 am

Can anybody tell what is the sole purpose of all weld test sample?
Oilman
    Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Do you mean; what is the purpose of "weld test samples" It depends on the type of test and what the test is 'looking' for.
There are many different types of weld tests. A destruct test involves applying some kind of mechanical force to the weld to see if it fails, or when it fails. For instance you can test a lap joint simply by hammering one of the 2 metal coupons to bend the metal at the joint to see if there is root penetration and complete fusion.

Another test is to cut across the weld at 90 degrees and polish and acid etch the metal to see the amount of root penetration and also check for porosity and other defects.

Weld testing can be as simple as a hammer judiciously applied, to x-rays, tensile, ultrasound, etc.
1969 Idealarc 250
Miller 200 MIG
Everlast 200DV
Micro welder
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

This description is a bit vague, but could refer to a 6G, which qualifies you in all positions.

Steve S
Shastri11

I mean to say the purpose of all weld test sample .
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Shastri11 wrote:I mean to say the purpose of all weld test sample .
That does not help. You are not describing a test we are familiar with, with language we know.

Describe the test. Is it on pipe? Is it on plate? What process are you going to use? What position is it in?

Steve S
Shastri11

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Shastri11 wrote:I mean to say the purpose of all weld test sample .
That does not help. You are not describing a test we are familiar with, with language we know.

Describe the test. Is it on pipe? Is it on plate? What process are you going to use? What position is it in?

Steve S
I mean to say the tensile test sample which comes under all weld test for thicker plates.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Does the weld test have an identifying number or spacific name?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Tensile test is subjected to tension to break the test piece. Useful information is gathered as a result. Firstly a visual examination of the break reveals the location of the break. If parent metal broke that means the weld is stronger than the parent metal- all good. If the weld breaks that's probably going to be a fail depending on whether the break force is less that the stated strength of the parent metal. Visual examination of the break itself will reveal any defects at the break.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'