General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
cb400chopper
    Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:20 am

Hey everyone, I've come to a crossroads in my career and I'm finding it tough to get advice from people who have been in the same situation.

About three years ago I got "promoted" into an engineering support role which has been touted as a wonderful opportunity by everyone who I speak to, however my income has gone down a lot because I no longer do overtime and ends are getting tougher to meet.

The only way to advance my situation is to go to university and take on student debt which I'm not to keen on as money is already tight and job prospects aren't to good in my area or I can walk straight into a welding job 55hours a week for double my current salary.

So the question is any thoughts on what road to go down, am I throwing away a better future to get back behind the helmet. Anyone been in this position and have any advice.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Chopper
If you could include your location and some personal info...married, family? might be helpful.
Richard
Website
cb400chopper

Yeah that would probably help, I'm in Australia will be married shortly but no kids yet

Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Often the office promotion means having your pay eroding away especially if you don't have that engineering degree. Going to uni as an adult is noble and I've seen it done by successfully several times by correspondence to maintain employment but it's a hard road. Finding good welding jobs is hard these days so if you can walk into 55hr permanency I would do it and pocket the cash. You can always do the correspondence degree from the 6g position.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Coldman wrote:Often the office promotion means having your pay eroding away especially if you don't have that engineering degree. Going to uni as an adult is noble and I've seen it done by successfully several times by correspondence to maintain employment but it's a hard road. Finding good welding jobs is hard these days so if you can walk into 55hr permanency I would do it and pocket the cash. You can always do the correspondence degree from the 6g position.
Agree. If you are yet to have kids, get moving and start saving. If you are disciplined in your saving you will quickly build up a buffer that will give you more freedom to to look at other options in the future should you decide that the life of a career welder is not for you.

I wish you all the best. As a self-employed person watching the working world quickly change, I know it can be tough and stressful. I hope you do well and go from strength to strength.

Kym
cb400chopper

Thanks guys I'm leaning towards doing it, the whole plan is to get ahead because like you've said kym the working world is changing and I think it's a case of getting ahead where you can

Oilman
    Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:30 pm

I had a similar career path. Worked as a diemaker and because of a welding background, and not liking boredom on the job, inserted myself into situations were engineers were attempting to solve problems. Bottom line, got promoted into engineering. The reality is that book smart people often lack fundamental problem solving skills learned by actually doing things and working with ones hands.
I did study certain subjects to learn what I could to gain knowledge and skills to get better at what I did. I cherry picked classes for what I decided was worth learning, and rejected classes that I felt were worthless. I never got a degree.
So yes I worked longer hours and got paid somewhat less than I would have at an hourly wage. I think you have to make a decision regarding what value your position is giving you as far as skills and abilities vs what you are paid. It may take some time to gain recognition from your bosses as to what you bring to the table and what it is worth to them to keep you at the table. If you can prove your worth, then you have a bargaining position to negotiate better pay.
Make sure you document what you do and innovate. Dated documents and designs with witnesses. I learned this the hard way when "degreed" engineers stole my work and put their name on it. (sad to say, I had to do most of the work because they were incapable) You must protect yourself.
If you have the time and the inclination by all means go get a degree. Just remember that the paper isn't the substance of who you are and what you do. I hate the fact that the piece of paper means more than ones abilities. I find it amazing that so many mechanical engineers know little about the materials they work with. I took classes in metallurgy, heat treat, metal chemistry, etc. and spent extra time reading up on related stuff not required by the particular courses. Some of the specialized knowledge paid huge dividends problem solving engineering issues.
I used to look up to engineers as "really smart people" After I became an engineer I discovered that there are some really good ones (some of the best i worked with did not have a degree) and quite a few that just have a career where they don't care how they get ahead. So my advice is to be a principled person who is known for hard work and honesty, reliable, works well with others, and always tries to do the right thing.
1969 Idealarc 250
Miller 200 MIG
Everlast 200DV
Micro welder
cb400chopper

Your situation sounds very similar. I ended up in engineering because I was always the one to put my hand up to fix problems, I'm lucky in a way as the engineers I work with are brilliant but they also ask me for my advice as they do respect my knowledge the only problem is the company bases wages on your papers

Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Don't worry about what other people can or can't do, it's all about you. Without the degree you will always be a technical assistant with pay to match in the same way without trade papers you would always be an assistant or labourer. You can't expect qualified pay without the qualifications, that's the rules of the game.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
cb400chopper

Agree completely Coldman.