General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
jime46
    Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:56 am

I'm restoring a '53 Jaguar and one of the pieces I have to do is the grill. It's a chrome brass frame with chromed brass ribs. I've done this before by stripping the chrome, silver soldering the ribs in, and then having it chromed. I have since found the factory chromed all the pieces first and soldered it together chromed. I wasn't aware you could solder over chrome, and if it could, would be afraid of discoloring the chrome. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can do this, and what materials and heat source you would use?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I'd guess a silver based solder. Like Staybrite 8. Recomend sticking with a propane torch and keeping a close eye on the temps. If you have several joints in close proximity I'd let them cool to room temp between joints.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
jime46

I did some more testing and found the discoloration probably will not be the big issue. I tested some chrome parts at 500 deg with no discoloration, certainly high enough for most of the lead free solders. The problem is getting it to stick. I tried some Oatey lead free solder with their #95 flux on a piece of chrome sheet metal. Had no trouble getting it hot enough to flow, but the solder just ran off, so the question is, what needs to be done to get it to stick to the chrome surface?
Poland308

You will need a high silver content solder with an apropriate flux. However if the solder was rolling off then it's also a possibility that you got it too hot. Or that the flux burnt up before you got solder on it. The flux that is made to work with the Staybrite 8 solder is a high temp flux that won't burn out till you get over 1000 deg.

Josh
jime46

Thanks Josh
Will the flux you're suggesting work on chrome? The flux I tried didn't appear to affect the surface at all.
Poland308

Not entirely sure but it should. It will hold up even close to brazing temps and yet work with all solders. It's non acidic so it can be used for refrigeration purposes. I've used it on brass fittings that were chrome plated but they were heavy walled brass fittings. Any refrigeration supply house should stock it it's a common use item.

Josh
ELGEO
    Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:32 pm

I have a similar question. I have some discarded Harley chromed exhaust pipes that I want to cut and weld together for an art project. I'm guessing mig welding is out of the question as it would discolor if not melt off the chrome. So do you think I could use this soldering technique you describe?
Thanks
George