General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

That drive me crazy!! what about you?

TIG welding crappy material...
tungsten.jpg
tungsten.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 582 times
gas lens.jpg
gas lens.jpg (47.46 KiB) Viewed 582 times
Richard
Website
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I would recognize that gas lens anywhere :lol: Dipped tungsten....I never dip anymore :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

Not dipped but welding steel that was powder coated, I did grind it off but that crap was deep!!
Richard
Website
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

That first tungsten reminds me of welding galvanized 400 series stainless....IMPREGNATED GALVANIZED STAINLESS
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

LtBadd wrote:Not dipped but welding steel that was powder coated, I did grind it off but that crap was deep!!
I feel ya man, we have 15 more 5' round planters that need redone after the customer rejected them. Just prep work to weld the top, which includes sanding the top, and then 1.5" down on inside and out takes 4.5-6 hours, depending on how well they powder coated it to begin with.

An 8" sanding pad will be your best friend if the parts are big enough! We ran the shop out of 3/32 gas lens' in 6 shifts, consumable cost for the week was through the roof and over the mountain!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
geo
  • geo
    Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:56 pm

All looks pretty normal if your projects are built from free treadmill platforms lol.

There is a reason God invented the spitting hissing MIG eh.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I have and still do both. Very bothersome.
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

I recently welded over a powdercoated rim to make a test stand. I was wondering if that rim had cadmium in it because it kept exploding like when you try to weld over a soldered joint. Now I know what happened.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT