General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
EdG
  • EdG
    Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:32 pm

OK- I am very new at this and was using my dad's AC stick welder. I'm ok at getting a decent bead with it.

HF has 3 that I have questions about. All are wire feed. 90 amp flux @ $110, 170 amp mig/flux @ $185 and 180 amp mig/flux. The none mig states no gas required. Does that mean the others need to connected to some sort of gas? Also, the 180 amp is $95 more than the 170 amp.Is the difference that much?

Is there a way to convert the ac welder that I have to dc so I can get a steady bead?

I would like any help cuz me confused :?

Thanks

Ed
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

All are capable of running without gas using flux core wire. The one that says no gas required is ONLY capable of running flux core. Wire welding works best on direct current, the 90 amp HF machine is alternating current output. 90 amps is not enough power for wire welding. My advice is to buy a used machine (as many amps as you can get) that the seller demonstrates before you pay. You'll get more for your money generally.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

And for more info go to the Harbor Freight website and click on the link to download the manuals and view them on your pc. They explain how to hook up the optional gas bottle and set up the machine for solid wire. Don't buy the cheapo with 120V input whatever you do.
EdG
  • EdG
    Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:32 pm

Thank you for such a quick response.

How bad would the hf '130 AMP TIG / 90 AMP ARC WELDER' be? It's 220 VAC input with both TIG and ARC having DC output.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/tls/5863691906.html

I'm also going to contact a guy I went to HS with. We were not great friends but that was 30 years ago and he has a welding shop and has helped me out before with some work. He may know someone with something for sale.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

EdG wrote:Thank you for such a quick response.

How bad would the hf '130 AMP TIG / 90 AMP ARC WELDER' be? It's 220 VAC input with both TIG and ARC having DC output.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/tls/5863691906.html

I'm also going to contact a guy I went to HS with. We were not great friends but that was 30 years ago and he has a welding shop and has helped me out before with some work. He may know someone with something for sale.
Yes indeed talk to your welder friend for advice. The best question I think will help us help you is, what is your budget? I think HF would be the last place I would buy a welder from IMO. ;) Look at Tractor Supply as they sell Hobart welders and they are affiliated with Miller although as the economy line, but still decent entry level and lots of choices. I also like HTP welders as I own one so check them out too. Great customer service and great welders. Link below:

http://www.usaweld.com/

or

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/welder

added: After looking at the welder in the craigslist ad, for light work and learning etc and for $150, it may be worth a try. But look at craigslist for a Miller, Lincoln, Hobart or other name brand besides HF. The reason you see a lot of HF welders on craigslist is because most people are not happy with them for one reason or another.
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

what kind of welder are you looking for and what kinda budget do you have?
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

EdG wrote:
Is there a way to convert the ac welder that I have to dc so I can get a steady bead?

Ed
not with out havng more into it then just getting a new welder that can do DC. if you after a arc welder there are alot of good ones out there for a decent price, everlast, AHP, if your after a older type tumbstone Hobart or lincoln makes AC, DC machines you can get that are not bad on the price.. for wirefeed if i was you i could get a hobart or lincoln, or everlast.. it all comes down to what you have for a budget and what you want out of it.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.