General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

It's gonna be a while before I can afford to do this but I'm planning on buying a giant plate of aluminum to make a welding table from. I got a price quote from http://www.metalsupermarkets.com for a piece of cast aluminum 0.75" X 48" X 96". The paltry sum quoted was a measly $2,211.29 plus shipping.
Where can I find the best price for something like this? I know it's gonna be expensive no matter where I go. I also know that an aluminum table is impossible to beat because the old boss had one that was 1" X 48" X 120".
Also, would I be better off with some specific alloy as opposed to cast?
Thanks
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Whenever I've compared online rates to my local supplier, the shipping takes the online providers out of the running. Do you have a favorite provider in your area?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

There is a few of them around Atlanta but the only one I've ever bought from is Steel Mart. They charged me $10 per cut on 4" sch 80 pipe and $7.50 per cut on 4" X 3/8" flat bar. That didn't set too well with me but I couldn't get the stuff in my car without two cuts on each piece.
The weight on that aluminum plate is 381 lbs so I can see how that would easily diminish any savings once shipping is factored in.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I don't know if there is an ALRO Metals anywhere near Atlanta but they are pretty fair. They are all over the country.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

new jersey and delaware
joseph fazzio
wall ,nj
new castle de
great people
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I buy all my materials from a small local welding and fab shop at a very reasonable price. They probably sell as much material out the door as they use themselves. In my case I have a trailer that will handle 14ft lengths which I then cut to size myself with a cold cut saw. With some of the cutting charges I see if you are doing many projects it probably wouldn't take long to pay for some type of metal saw if you don't have one. I have seen the material prices at hardwares - home depot etc. and they are crazy - many times what I pay. If you hook up with a fair supplier they can always special order for you and hopefully save you money. Good luck. :P
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I buy from Alro Metals in Florida, sometimes Phoenix metals. Depends who comes out the cheapest in the end but I think Alro is pretty much everywhere.
if there's a welder, there's a way

Olivero wrote:I buy from Alro Metals in Florida, sometimes Phoenix metals. Depends who comes out the cheapest in the end but I think Alro is pretty much everywhere.
My experience is Alro can be expensive, but I do like their Drop Shop in Clearwater when smaller quantities are needed. Hadco beats them hands down on Aluminum. In Tampa Cole Industrial is very competitive.
Richard
Website
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

LtBadd wrote:
Olivero wrote:I buy from Alro Metals in Florida, sometimes Phoenix metals. Depends who comes out the cheapest in the end but I think Alro is pretty much everywhere.
My experience is Alro can be expensive, but I do like their Drop Shop in Clearwater when smaller quantities are needed. Hadco beats them hands down on Aluminum. In Tampa Cole Industrial is very competitive.
I am going to their drop shop maybe tomorrow in Elk Grove. Was there last week and got some brass and aluminum drops for lathing. It's like a big candy store for nerds like us :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

LtBadd wrote:

Wow, I never came across them, ever. I have searched a lot online for vendors but I guess I will give them a shot on what's coming up and I will see how they do.

I am all about cheaper vendors :D

I build too much stuff to be picky about the vendor, I go with whatever comes out with the best price, they can compete all they want but its the price and the service I care about.

How is the aluminum when it arrived from Hadco? Good quality or rain beaten?
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

I've bought from ALRO in NC and I like dealing with them. Ive bought aluminum too and I think they're fair. I'd still try to shop around but I'll second ALRO.

Olivero wrote:
Wow, I never came across them, ever. I have searched a lot online for vendors but I guess I will give them a shot on what's coming up and I will see how they do.

I build too much stuff to be picky about the vendor, I go with whatever comes out with the best price, they can compete all they want but its the price and the service I care about.

It's as you'd expect new material to be from any supplier.

Contact info
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I have a 3/8" aluminum (6061) table (42"x60") that cost me about $500. I also have a 5/8"x4'x8' Cold Rolled table for welding and fixtures. It too cost me about $500 for the top. For welding, I prefer the steel table because I can use magnets to help position and tack which I can't do on the alloy top. Plus, the alloy top gets darn hot when pouring heat into welded items. It's helpful for thin sheets to suck heat out, but day in and day out, I'd stay with my steel table.

I get all my stuff from MSM and found their pricing as good as any supplier. Choose cold rolled over hot to avoid the mill scale if you do opt for steel.

LtBadd wrote:
Olivero wrote:

It's as you'd expect new material to be from any supplier.

Contact info

Cool, I will have to let them quote on the next job, seems like they are pretty limited on stainless though, don't look like they have square tube and their aluminum is from 2" +