General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:41 am

I don't do this stuff 24/7 but have enough time under a hood to know that most people have had similar issues at one time or another. I've had 3 different helmets, currently using a Miller Digital Elite. I do primarily stick welding but have picked up TIG in the last year or so and understand the quality difference. Glare from different sources of unintentional light, (reflection off chest, sun or other light source behind you hitting your lens etc). I'd like to see how others are dealing with these issues in real world resolutions. I know there are some bib type devices which look like a piece of black leather you clamp on the edge of your hood. I have duct taped shop rags to the top of my mask and let them drape over the back of my head. What solutions do you have? Have you used effectively? What are the pro's / con's of bibs etc.?
Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Tbaugh wrote:I don't do this stuff 24/7 but have enough time under a hood to know that most people have had similar issues at one time or another. I've had 3 different helmets, currently using a Miller Digital Elite. I do primarily stick welding but have picked up TIG in the last year or so and understand the quality difference. Glare from different sources of unintentional light, (reflection off chest, sun or other light source behind you hitting your lens etc). I'd like to see how others are dealing with these issues in real world resolutions. I know there are some bib type devices which look like a piece of black leather you clamp on the edge of your hood. I have duct taped shop rags to the top of my mask and let them drape over the back of my head. What solutions do you have? Have you used effectively? What are the pro's / con's of bibs etc.?
Good hoods have an adjustment, at least mine does, that lets you pull the lens in closer to your face. I had a glare problem and didn't know my hood was adjustable in that axis until I put a cheater lens in it. I also installed a very bright head lamp on my hood and my glare problem went away. I also taped a piece of leather at the bottom of my hood because for some reason or another, I always forget to button my shirt to the top and was getting burnt all the time. Just my 2cts...hope it helps.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

While I've never found this a big issue for me, I've known several who have issues with glare, whether reflected weld light from a light colored shirt or the sun behind them welding outside.

I think the neatest solution I saw was one fellow who had lined the entire perimeter of his hood with 1" wide Velcro (hook side), using 3M auto-body tape (that stuff's indestructible), and cut many different shapes and sizes of fabric from a "blackout curtain" he'd gotten at a motel auction to serve as bibs of different lengths, and head covers of different lengths and widths, so he could fit pieces anywhere he needed without completely enclosing his breathing space. His wife (he couldn't sew) attached the "loop" side of the Velcro for him.

As a side note, modern blackout curtains are FR fabric, so no worry about doing a Richard Pryor run...

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I used to use a small leather apron on the bottom front of my old speedglass hood when I worked production. Because the shape of it left my neck exposed. I haven't needed one with my current Lincoln hood.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

I cut up an old suede jacket for material and made a little cover for the back of the hood and a little bib for under the front. Hook and loop from the craft store to hold them on. It doesn't seem to restrict breathing at all.

I also keep the adjustment knobs on the halo pretty snug. Never liked doing the head snap thing, and that keeps the hood from sagging forward when looking forward/down.
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I ordered the bib for my Optrel e684. It can be used as a head cover instead so it has this rubber weather stripping like grip to it that goes over the top lip of the hood so the bib lays across the back of your head and shoulders.

I've got a thin profile face and just thin all around so most welding equipment is kinda a PITA for me since it's designed for larger people. That said EVERY helmet I have lets light through around the sides and usually you need a light above you or off to the side to light your work space so you're just screwed no matter what you do....

I bought the bib and have never taken it off as a head cover because I never have light in my hood anymore. It was $50 and I really hated spending that but I'm very thankful I did after all the use I've had. Better than jerry riggin something up and it's leather so it won't catch fire (easily).
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)