General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Keith_J
    Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:55 am

Back in 2012, I liberated a surplus M1031 truck from Ft. McCoy WI. Why? Only 9000 miles for one but less than 4 hours on the PTO driven 12 kW Lima MAC three phase generator and 7 CFM Champion air compressor. There is always a catch..
The generator needs to spin at 1800 RPM to make 60 Hz and to do that, a Barber Coleman governor system adjusts the throttle. That didn't work too well. As in it couldn't hold but 55 Hz with only the compressor. My Miller Dynasty 200 DX was limited to 100 amps in GTAW, forget SMAW
I finally got around to it, discovering the problem was original install was flubbed. 20 minutes later, it was powering three 3500 watt water heater elements AND the air compressor while holding 60.25 Hz :mrgreen:

Its a beefy generator, data plate reads 41.6 amps three phase at 208 volts. Which means it could power a 400 amp welder.

Now I am ready to do some real field work. Yes, it burns about 1-1/2 gallons per hour at full output but it is only one engine to maintain.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Pics?

Sent from my electronic thingy using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

What Coleman said.
Without pics its heresay :D
Sounds like a nice score BTW.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Would like to see pictures too - always wanted an ex military truck except the bit you could'nt afford to run it with our fuel prices.
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

noddybrian wrote:Would like to see pictures too - always wanted an ex military truck except the bit you could'nt afford to run it with our fuel prices.
depends on the truck the M1031 is more of less a Chevy 3/4 ton or 1 ton with a 6.5L diesel IIRC id guess it wouldnt be any less fuel effciant going down to road then anything but the newest Diesel trucks anyhow..

depending on what he dose it might end up being cheaper to run it vs putting togeather a welding rig.. with a Gen of that capacity a 208 3 phase gen putting out 41 amps no matter how you cut it is going to eat fuel like a pig dose slop.. i mean that is 12,800 watts giver take got to figure about 24-25HP running so would have to be ran from a 25-50 HP engine so evan a kabota gen would eat over a gallon a hour anyhow putting out that kinda power.

if you figure in he is not having to do a oil change on a gen like that or new air and fuel filters every year on a extra gen on simular size the small amount of fuel savings with a sperate gen wouldnt be worth it.. got to figure a oil change on a gen is only going to be 100-500 hours anyhow dependng on the conditions.. IIRC those kabota engines have about a 5-8 quart capacity plus oil flter and fuel filter cost..

by the way a ruff guess at a kabota disel powering that kinda load was about 1.25 gallons a hour so 1.5 gallons a hour running that off the trucks engine is actually very good.. thinking on the fact in the colder times of the year you could keep the truck warm its got a added bonus if your where you live its cold.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
Keith_J
    Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:55 am

Yes, it is a Chevy K30 (that is a 1 ton) with NP 205 transfer case, Detroit Locker rear diff and Dana 60 limited slip front. 4.56:1 axles with a TH 400 transmission means a top speed of 65 MPH. The engine is the DD 6.2, indirect injection without turbo. But it is an exempt emissions due to GVW so no EGR and heavy duty heads which don't crack valve seat webs..
1223161552_Burst03.jpg
1223161552_Burst03.jpg (50.31 KiB) Viewed 864 times
Yes, it sucks diesel like a Teamster drinks beer but only under load. Sure, such a setup is still costly with generator alone in the$3000 range new. Base price in 1989 was over $32k without tools.
1223161552_Burst03.jpg
1223161552_Burst03.jpg (50.31 KiB) Viewed 864 times
I don't use the antiquated 3P4W receptacle because I added a twist lock 30 amp whip off the 45 amp circuit breaker. Yes, 45 amps. One disconnect under load and that plug&receptacle would be toast.

The generator weighs in at about 280 pounds. Add another 150 pounds for the PTO gearbox, driveshaft and cogs and it still is far lighter than any 12 kW powerplant. Easier to start the engine but you have to bump the TC into neutral, pull the PTO cable and shift the trans into gear. Once those are done, one switch engages the governor and the gennie spins at 1800 RPM to make 60Hz. The engine is spinning at a sedate 1300 RPM give or take some slip in the torque converter.

With all my tools, it tips the scales at 8200 pounds, a half ton under the listed GVW.

At home, the Dynasty runs off a MEP 002A, a nominal 5kW Onan based diesel set also in 208 volt 3θ wye. That set drinks about 1/4 gph unloaded1-1/4 gph spinning a 9 kW load. This older milspec genset is built like a brick outhouse.
Attachments
1223161552a_Burst02.jpg
1223161552a_Burst02.jpg (39.12 KiB) Viewed 864 times