General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:58 pm

I have two auto-darkening hoods. Typically I weld with gas and an 0.35 hardwire on carbon steel up to 1/2" thick (which is pushing my welder)> The welder is a Powermig 215 that peaks at 215 amps. What everyone's thoughts on the lens setting for an auto hood in this application? I usually have it set for around 9 or 10, but I wonder if I shouldn't lighten it. I was reading somewhere that the setting is not that critical because there should already be filters in the lens that weed out the UV and that seems a little suspicious to me.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Now about the glass. Glass is transparent because it lets all the colors go true it but what we can not see is that it acts as a filter for UV light. Most of UV radiation is stopped by glass & this is why you will not get sunburns behind a glass.

The glass simply filters out the UV radiation that is responsible for the sunburns & protect your skins from these energetic & somewhat harmful radiation. Sunblock lotion works exactly the same way, they simply filter out UV light.

Most plastics that are not clear will block most or all of the UV. Even clear colored dyes usually absorb some UV. And anything that is flat-colored or opaque doesn't just absorb light, it scatters light.

The shade/darkening cuts the brightness to a comfortable level
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

Rick, what setting do you use?
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

rick9345 wrote:Now about the glass. Glass is transparent because it lets all the colors go true it but what we can not see is that it acts as a filter for UV light. Most of UV radiation is stopped by glass & this is why you will not get sunburns behind a glass.

The glass simply filters out the UV radiation that is responsible for the sunburns & protect your skins from these energetic & somewhat harmful radiation. Sunblock lotion works exactly the same way, they simply filter out UV light.

Most plastics that are not clear will block most or all of the UV. Even clear colored dyes usually absorb some UV. And anything that is flat-colored or opaque doesn't just absorb light, it scatters light.

The shade/darkening cuts the brightness to a comfortable level
to add to this and answer the question.. i wouldnt go too light with it because to much bright light can damage the eyes and also give you some killer head ach's how ever everyones eyes can tallerate diffrent levels ChuckE2009 has mentioned this about everytime he has reviewed hoods is people with blue or green eyes are more sensitive to light then people with brown eyes.

i would weld with it for a while at a given setting you want to try and if you get a headach bump the shade up a notch.. i usaly weld around a 10-11 with stick and around 9-10 with MIG
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I do mine at 10-12 but keep it at 12 for almost everything except below 80 amps.

As a blue eyed beast I am extremely sensitive to light....... just kidding, I really don't let my shade down too far because I don't want to need it so low. below 10 is a no go for me.

In case you prefer OSHA's recommendations, they are right here.

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHAf ... elding.pdf
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

setting as dark as I can and still see the puddle.
What others said about too light,headaches.
usually dictated by amperage/material. 10.5 +,ESAB 613XL 1/1/1/1/379
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

Thanks all.