General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

Can anyone understand what is being said at the 1:04 mark? Or do you recognize what this is?

I took a screen shot as he zooms in on this device which I believe is how he is grounding the shaft
snip_20161229152458.jpg
snip_20161229152458.jpg (59.29 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Here is the YT video which is short, if you can figure out what he is saying

Thanks
Richard
Website

He says "there's my commutator" and then I can't make out the next word. Sorta sounds like "gear" or "there". The device looks like a commutator frame and brushes from an electric motor, and it's definitely being used to ground the shaft.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch

After that he says "gar" which is short for Gary, if you look in the comments there is a post by someone named Gary with the OP's same last name

Ok so I looked this commutator up and it seems o transfer power to a rotating shaft, thanks for that Idbtx.

I'm making my own rotator and am looking at how I'll ground this, I like his design but haven't settled on this yet.

I thinking maybe he removed this from a motor (?) as I haven't seen this as a stand alone item for sale.
Richard
Website

You might check a local electric motor rebuild house for a new commutator and brushes. Also, for another way to ground a shaft, I'm including a link to Adam Booth's, Abom79 on YouTube, series for his rotary welding table build. This episode has him forming his contacts, and I don't remember which of the following episodes shows the install. Probably the next one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNTzn4n ... XU6fYcTQDt

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

At least this side of the pond the commutator is the segmented copper part on the armateur of a motor - the part in the video is simply a 4brush holder / backplate from a starter motor but only has 2 brushes in use oddly - normally 2 are earthed via the plate & 2 are insulated from the motor body but used this way all 4 could be used as the entire unit will be earthed - I would silicon bronze the shaft or add a brass / copper slip ring to transfer the power - nearly any scrap starter motor can be used but it's a service item & can readily be bought new - if you have nowhere local try Ebay has plenty or go to an automotive electrical / reconditioning place - even a smallish one will stand a few hundred amps as seen on lock draw by the motor it comes from.
Keith_J
    Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:55 am

Technically, a commutator is a rotary switch used in DC and universal motors to switch polarity of the rotor windings..in the fashion employed by this device, it is a slip ring. Some alternators (nearly all automotive) use these on the rotor.

Delco SI alternators have a cartridge slip ring brush holder which could be used if you cannot find a scrap starter. They are dirt cheap new but you eould need at least 4.

I'll investigate this further, thanks guys for the leads.
Richard
Website
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Sounds to me like you're getting serious about welding beer cans :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

exnailpounder wrote:Sounds to me like you're getting serious about welding beer cans :lol:
I'm gunna kill that sh!t. :lol:
Richard
Website
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.