General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
bbc
  • bbc
    Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:19 am

Hello,
I'm new to the site. Just wondering if you ever heard of cobra welding torch. Also your opinion on them welding aluminum?
Says you can weld aluminium with accetalene and tig rod.
Thank You in advance.
Steve from Ohio
    Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:53 am

I know this is an older thread but you have not had any response. I have a Cobra...aka Henrob...aka Cobra 2000. I've been a gas welder fan for a long time. Had most of the major brand torches and a few off brands as well.

It is very good for thin aluminum. Like up to 1/8 inch thick. Anything thicker and I go to the tig or mig. Aluminum is too good a heat absorber and it takes forever to heat up really thick aluminum. The only time I use it on thick aluminum is when I am fixing cracks in transmission or transfer cases. There it excels when pre heating with a rosebud tip. Tig welding a transmission case means it needs to be spotlessly clean and usually the aluminum is coated with grease and transmission fluid. The Cobra burns off that stuff and allows for a better weld than a tig or mig on dirtier situations. The only minus with the Cobra on aluminum is you do have to use flux.

The Cobra is excellent for bodywork as the flame is very small and precise with a very small HAZ. The welds are more workable for sheet metal than a mig or tig weld. I also fix a lot of diesel tanks on trucks. The tig welds just don't hold up as well and often leak on those big tanks. The weld of the Cobra on those tanks have yet to leak on me.

The old school guys have a hard time adjusting to using the Cobra torch as the angle and feel of the torch is different from most other torches. The Cobra is a bit heavier but that weight allows for a more precise flame aim. The classic car guys use the Cobra quite a bit.

The Cobra torch uses less gas than most other torches. I recommend the Cobra 200 torch highly.