General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
AlexLoos
    Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Anyone here ever weld or solder decorative brass handrail? Tried tig, it’s nasty... probably cast brass... may try to solder, but don’t really want to use reg solder as I am trying to avoid a silver joint at seems... any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

https://www.riogrande.com/product/brass ... -ga/132201

Sucks that it's only in 20G, but I've used it before and it works.

You could always just silver solder it, clean the flux off, and heat up the solder joint a bit and rub it down with a brass brush or wire wheel to color it.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
AlexLoos
    Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Cool this helps! We actually silver soldered and it worked.... good tip about the brass brush. I’m going to try to 20 ga brass wore as well. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You can use brass brazing rod and oxy acetylene. You just need to clean up the flux. I’ve seen old steel pipe hand rails that were brazed with brass wire literally 100+ years ago that still are in service today. I did a small repair on some old brass decorative fittings on a lamp post that way once. When they were first cleaned up the new brass filler was a little brighter. But after a few years you couldn’t hardy tell.
I have more questions than answers

Josh