General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Matt Walker
    Thu May 26, 2016 4:37 am

My welder is out in a unheated shop here in MN. I don't use it enough to keep the wire fresh on it I was wondering if there is anything to wrap on the spool to keep it from corroding, or should I just take It in the house. I assume its the changes in humidity that causes the problem.
LanceR
    Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

I use military surplus ammo cans. They come in some pretty big sizes, are pretty much bulletproof and are watertight. I've got some big ones that I can fit multiple 12" rolls in and then drop in a big desiccant bag.

I also have a lot of clamps, welding rods and my 6" and 9" grinders in ammo cans with assorted spare guards and wheels.
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
Welding/cutting/brazing torches
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Matt Walker wrote:Re: Wire feed help
I just fill childs socks with Tidy Cat clumping kitty litter and put one in the welder cabinet. I do the same with tools in cases / containers. Internet search said it's a pretty good dessicant. Freeze thaws are a problem. A cold machine when the temperature/humidity rises will sweat, probably not good for the electronics also. Taking in the house in a controlled environment would definitely be a big help.
LanceR
    Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

And wrapping the whole machine in a plastic bag might help.
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
Welding/cutting/brazing torches
Matt Walker
    Thu May 26, 2016 4:37 am

Thanks for the help, I think i'll do a combination of the advise. I was looking at it last night and i'm thinking about building a box (plywood) to put the whole welder in. I can put a little heat in it along with a can for the wire and the desiccant bags.
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Not the proper fix for corrosion but I take a large black style paper clip and put a peice of supper fine scotch bright pad wrapped around the wire before the feed rollers and clamp it doesn't hurt a thing and even though my wire doesn't ever look cruddy the pad turns really black after a roll I'm sure it has greatly extended the liner life if nothing else
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I received a couple rolls of wire from a friend and keep them out in the barn. There is absolutely no water getting in there but I've found there is enough moisture in PA to affect the top layers of the wire. I don't have containers large enough to store the wire and have been plagued with some corrosion even with absorbing packs laying all over the place.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

BillE.Dee wrote:I received a couple rolls of wire from a friend and keep them out in the barn. There is absolutely no water getting in there but I've found there is enough moisture in PA to affect the top layers of the wire. I don't have containers large enough to store the wire and have been plagued with some corrosion even with absorbing packs laying all over the place.
Depending upon the diameter of the rolls, you can drop them flat into a 5 gallon bucket, stacked atop each other. Put a lid on it. Moisture proof and "portable". Or, drop by the local Walmart and grab the large size Rubbermaid storage bins. They're rectangular, stackable, and sealable.