General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
SteveJustSteve
    Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Backfire- I have a Smith NE-180A soldering torch. First thing I disassembled it and blew it out with air, nothing looked damaged or out of place. The only tip it had was the installed largest offered #4. When I lite the torch it immediately had a 2-3 second sustained backfire that self extinguished. Immediately after I checked the manufacturer's recommended acetylene pressure setting and it was 12-14, sounded high to me, I had it set about 6-8. I changed it to 12 and it seemed to get worse. After that I figured it best to get some advise. I do believe I had the fuel line fully purged. Torch pics below

Torch ID- I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me with some info on this torch kit. When I got it the torch body was missing and I'd like to replace it, if this kit even warrants it (opinions welcome on that). I've exhausted my resources short of calling Sweden and still haven't had any luck. I found that GasIQ has some similar ELGA torches, the N76 looks to be closest, but seems different in that blowtubes don't seem to have an o-ring like this kit. It looks like they also offer some as "injector torches" which I'm not familiar with at all and not sure if this is one. Pics below

Fittings- I have an extra set Western Enterprises male quick connects that I'd like to put on an extra torch, however the threaded side is B size male (I think sold for connecting 2 hoses). Being these are 20 bucks plus a piece, I figured I'd just get a some couplers that are B size 9/16-18 LHF X B size 9/16-18 LHF... After scouring catalogs and the net I haven't seen a single one. Are these not made? If not is there a reason? So then I thought well I'll get some two fittings and silver solder them back to back (like the A to B size adapters are). Well, I couldn't find a single fitting that was made to be silver soldered only the barb type. Are these not made either?

Thanks to anyone willing to help.
Attachments
Backfiring Torch
Backfiring Torch
20190309_192255.jpg (47.53 KiB) Viewed 804 times
20190311_212238.jpg
20190311_212238.jpg (34.08 KiB) Viewed 804 times
Torch ID
Torch ID
20190309_191844.jpg (64.08 KiB) Viewed 804 times
20190309_191947.jpg
20190309_191947.jpg (52.65 KiB) Viewed 804 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

A lot to read and decipher...

But, first of all verify the recommended pressure is in CFM or that you are using a Liter Per Hour Regulator. Being a European product, I’d expect it to be Liters. Quite a bit different volume than Cubic feet.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Replace the o rings. There old and not sealing well.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
SteveJustSteve

That's a good idea on o-rings, I shouldn't just assume they are good by looks and not sure what else it could be. I will do that. thank you.

Here is the sheet that shows pressures. Let me know if I'm reading it wrong. Thanks guys.

I guess the ELGA torch is a weird one...
Attachments
Silver_Smith.jpg
Silver_Smith.jpg (119.52 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It’s a standard b tank acetylene air torch.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
SteveJustSteve

Poland308 wrote:It’s a standard b tank acetylene air torch.
Right. the missing Elga torch is the one I said is weird cause no one has knows what it is
SteveJustSteve

Well installed new o-rings and still no luck. Flame immediately backfires and burns for a few seconds at base of tube where the holes that introduce air are. I guess I'll call Smith on Monday.

Can anyone help me with the fitting question?

Thanks again.
SteveJustSteve

For anyone having the same issue in the future, the problem was the orifice still had a bunch of soot/junk in it after I tried blowing it out. A backfire is from lack of fuel and without pulling orifice out it couldn't be cleaned good enough to provide adequate flow. Thanks to those that tried helping.

Steve, thanks for the follow up
Richard
Website