General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
shouldershot
    Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:51 am

Looking to get a new welder at work. I'd like some input on the Lincoln Flextec 450 and the Miller XMT 456. We do some welding of 1 and 2 inch plate for large fixtures, down to quarter inch angle and flat stock. Most of the welding will be with mig and stick, though we will use the arcair and tig some. I would appreciate any info. Thanks guys.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

I would have to say that ekfinn hit it right on the head. You would not believe how much the tech support at Miller will go out of their way to help you. In the vast line-up of Miller machines and Lincoln machines, both have their pros and cons. I chose Miller and there were really two major deciding factors and one of them was not machine performance. The first was obviously the customer support. The other, my local weld supply store was a Miller dealer. Ther wasn't a whole lot that I could not go down and buy at a moments notice when needed. That is a great advantage over having to order and wait for everything. That is what did it for me. Hope that helps.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Just my two cents...

If you intend to weld aluminum, Miller is the better machine for that job.

Steve
Slash09
    Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:21 am

Figure out which gear you want to wear more, redline or arc-armor. Then buy the machine that goes with the gear! :mrgreen: Miller does have awesome tech support though.