General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
One1
  • One1
    Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:41 pm

I’m pretty sure aside of weld.com most people are pretty jelly of Jody’s beautiful arc shots. Most of us, including me, would rather sink the $ into a welder than a camera so I’ve been trying to come up with ways to get a decent arc shot with common items. My most successful setup is a GoPro Session 5 inside a Lincoln Viking 3350.

I have to crop a little, but it’s not bad for such a simple setup. I’d say the only drawback is not getting super close up puddle views. No way to fix that with a camera that doesn’t zoom. On that note however i did get reasonably similar quality with an iphone X but it took a few tries to get it to hit the exposure correctly between the iPhone autoexposure and the viking turning on.

Here’s my attempt with the GoPro and 3350. I’d like to hear any other things people have tried.

https://youtu.be/m-ns5CQxoMw

My embedding attempt didn’t work.
1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300, Miller 211 v1 mig, Lincoln 3350, CK Worldwide CK17FV, 9FV
    Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Maybe try a cheater lens in the hood to magnify the arc?
Last edited by Radishfever on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Learning is the best part of life and the most painful
One1
  • One1
    Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Thanks for the response. The reason I haven’t been happy with fixed lens is the green color. Even using gold lens hasn’t given me a color as true as the Viking on camera. I like fixed gold lens in real life. I have a cheater lens that i tried and it gave some distortion in the video when using it. If i can get the iphone locked into a certain exposure it has digital zoom, but it’s very picky about noise in low light. It works sometimes, the gopro works every time.
1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300, Miller 211 v1 mig, Lincoln 3350, CK Worldwide CK17FV, 9FV

wwwwwww
Last edited by Radishfever on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

wwwwww

Almost positive Jody is using a camcorder
Richard
Website

Iwwww
Last edited by Radishfever on Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Radishfever wrote: They might be using a camcorder also?
Or a DSLR with a zoom lens
Richard
Website

LtBadd wrote:
Radishfever wrote: They might be using a camcorder also?
Or a DSLR with a zoom lens

A
Last edited by Radishfever on Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

If One1 ever wants to share more information about his gear and bounce some ideas back and forth. I'm willing to help figure out ways to get the best shot with what you have. It would help to know the model of camera so I can download and read the manual. Then I could also find accessories and then give much better advice.

You can get the arc shots if you want
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I'm considering getting some kind of nice setup to capture arc shots/videos, but it sure is a lot of research to do when you know zilch about it, lol. Shame I can't capture some nice weld beads on video with my welders, but oh well, I didn't get into this hobby to glamourize it. :lol:

Here is a link to some good information about minimum focus distance.
Last edited by Radishfever on Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Let's see what the near future holds. :)

If you buy a set of Extension Tubes from Amazon. Get the ones that have electric contacts so you can change aperture while using them. That 50mm lens you have is very good and it becomes a macro lens if you add extension tubes. The tubes come with all the math magnification charts included.

That's basically the same camera I have. Welcome to the ultimate nerd land :lol: