General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
chiraldude
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:55 pm

I currently have a very old Chicago Electric 120V DC flux core. It has been a good unit to learn with but very limited in what it can do. I definitely need more power and functionality but I don't expect to use it on a regular basis.

I have limited space so I am looking at multi process units. Budget max is $2,000 so I am looking at Everlast.
I can get either the PowerMTS 211Si or LightningMTS 225 (both with TIG Package).

Is Everlast a good value for the money?
Other recommendations? What to look for used on Craigslist?
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

Lincoln 210mp
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

+1 on the Lincoln 210. Good bang for the buck, will have a lot better service than Everlast should you need it

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Lincoln 210MP or Miller MultiMatic 210.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

just be aware that there is very few "do everything" multi process welders out there.
most are typically a mig with tig and stick tacked on. eg lift arc tig and dc only. limitations on what stick electrodes it will run.
i think everlast and htp(?) are some of the few that actually have do everything multi process welders.
i would pick those over the lincoln anyday.
tweak it until it breaks
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

duh you know what I'm gonna say. Will blow both of those out of the water. :) :lol: But tweake is right that most "multi process" are limited on stick/TIG somehow. The smaller HTP units don't run E6010 rods, and the TIG is DC lift arc w/ pulse capable with remote amperage control options (foot pedal, torch slider, etc).
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Do you need ac tig

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
chiraldude

By AC you mean aluminum TIG? It would be interesting to try and play around with it but definitively don't need AC TIG.

chiraldude wrote:By AC you mean aluminum TIG? It would be interesting to try and play around with it but definitively don't need AC TIG.
Then most any lift arc TIG should suffice.
cj737

Oscar wrote:duh you know what I'm gonna say. Will blow both of those out of the water. :) :lol: But tweake is right that most "multi process" are limited on stick/TIG somehow. The smaller HTP units don't run E6010 rods, and the TIG is DC lift arc w/ pulse capable with remote amperage control options (foot pedal, torch slider, etc).
Which HTP is multiprocess?
Simclardy

chiraldude wrote:By AC you mean aluminum TIG? It would be interesting to try and play around with it but definitively don't need AC TIG.
Yes. I have the multimatic 215 which has performed well for me. I have a spool gun for aluminum, tig package i never use because i have a tig machine, and the stick is ok. 7018 1/8" no problem. 6010 i struggled getting good penetration but that could be me. OCV is <50v so not ideal. And inverter machines don't have the benefit of all that inductance of the old transformer, so they compensate.
Anyway it's a good machine at 1600 with a rebate

cj737 wrote:Which HTP is multiprocess?
Technically speaking, they all are:

Invertig 400: AC/DC TIG, AC/DC Stick
Invertig 221: AC/DC TIG, AC/DC Stick
Pro Pulse 200: DC MIG, DC TIG
Pro Pulse 220MTS: DC MIG, DC TIG, DC Stick
Pro Pulse 300: DC MIG, DC TIG, DC Stick
Inverarc 200TLP: DC Stick, DC TIG

Obviously the 220MTS and the Pro Pulse 300 are the 3-in-1 multi-process, where as the others are 2-in-1. Up your budget $200 and you can be laying down pulsed spray beads on ¼" steel like so (with C8-C10 gas):

and that's not even with the machine max'ed out. It's a pretty advanced machine, but once you get to know "how it works", it works pretty good.
cj737

The 220MTS is quite a bit more expensive than a comparably equipped Miller MultiMatic 210. The HTP has some advanced MIG features, but as said in another thread, features don’t make the welder.
chiraldude

cj737 wrote:The 220MTS is quite a bit more expensive than a comparably equipped Miller MultiMatic 210. The HTP has some advanced MIG features, but as said in another thread, features don’t make the welder.
Definitely true. I have learned to use my cheapo flux core and successfully welded everything from 14 gauge to 3/8 plate. Results were not pretty but the welds held up for the intended application.

After taking in the responses, I am just a bit less clear on what I want/need. Spending $$$ on features I may never use is one issue. I am inclined to go with the Lincoln 210 mp as suggested initially.
I expect that a Lincoln would hold value pretty well so if I decide to upgrade I could sell it pretty easily.
Simclardy

Yes. I have the multimatic 215 which has performed well for me. I have a spool gun for aluminum, tig package i never use because i have a tig machine, and the stick is ok. 7018 1/8" no problem. 6010 i struggled getting good penetration but that could be me. OCV is <50v so not ideal. And inverter machines don't have the benefit of all that inductance of the old transformer, so they compensate.
Anyway it's a good machine at 1600 with a rebate

tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Oscar wrote:
Then most any lift arc TIG should suffice.
ewww. at least get something with HF tig.
the lift tig on my multi process is god awful. i would rather have scratch start than lift start. starting arc rods is easy compared to that nitemare lift arc.
don't forget a lot of those lift arc are manual setups that you need to snap off. ie no taper off or just plain turn off.

both make it a lot harder to learn with. it was so much easier once i got a better tig with HF and slope controls.
tweak it until it breaks
    Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:42 pm

Everlast