General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Nethergate
    Thu May 28, 2020 6:16 am

Hi everyone, I’m just chasing a bit of info on what welder to buy. It’s only for general home use, I have an old cigweld easyweld and I haven’t been happy with how it’s been working, I borrowed a cigweld weldskill 180 and I love it, I was going to jump right in and buy one at $350 it’s a nice machine, the only thing that’s holding me back is I would love to try welding aluminium, I’ve never tig welded and from what I’ve read it’s best to get a machine than can ac tig, but at $1700 for a transarc I’m not sure i can get that past the minister of war and finance.

The other option I thought was get a 3 in one welder and try and mig weld it, I don’t have a specific project in mind, I just like fabbing my own things.

Any input would be good
Thanks James
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

If you want to TIG weld aluminum, not only is it best to get an AC/DC TIG welder, it is a must to do so since you can't TIG weld aluminum without AC (save for a very exclusive process that you will not be embarking on as a beginner).

You can MIG weld aluminum but you typically need a spool gun. Some MIGs don't need a spool gun for aluminum and can use a specialty MIG gun, but they are usually setup for that from the manufacturer in tue first place.

As for the cost, welding isn't cheap anyway you look at it. Gotta pay to play. Maybe you need a new minister of war and finance. Some of those are downright tyrants and I wonder why they are in that position in the first place. I was at Home Depot, and a gentleman rolled his shopping cart to and told his "minister", "I got the angle grinder". The first response from the "minister" without asking if it was the right one was, "is that the cheapest one?". With his head down, and like a defeated puppy with his tail between his legs he replied, "yes.". So sad, really. A really great "minister" should have said "as long as we can afford it and its what you really want/need, thats fine". :)

James welcome to the forum

Please consider adding your location to your profile, we have members in many countries and we can provide better answers if we know at least what country your in.

The Primeweld AC/DC TIG is a favorite for those who want an aluminum capable TIG unit at a reasonable cost vs quality machine
Richard
Website
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

There's a lot of factors when getting a tig machines.

As Richard suggested you should fill in your location, that may help people recommend a welder, some areas are limited.

There's a big fixation in tig welding aluminum, but the majority of people don't use it as much in the real world, IMO. It is good to have, but there's a lot of pieces to have for tig welding...tungstens, fillers, sharpener, grinders, sanders, gloves, helmet, etc...if you have all of that stuff by all means an AC machine is good. Budget for some of those things accordingly.

I don't like 3-in-1 machines, so wouldn't recommend one.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Not a thing wrong with multi process boxes. They work great on hobby level projects. You can MIG aluminum (100% argon only) with a spoolgun from most of those up to 3/16” thick. So light duty only. I’ve welded up Jon boats with my MIG, frames, and small furniture when my TIG box was just inconvenient. Lots to be said for walking around with a gun in your hand and squirting wire conveniently.

I’d vote for a get straight with your Minister too. As long as you have the means, buy what you need/want. Price of a happy and long marriage.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

the problem with most multi's is they are often a mig with tig tacked on the side. DC tig only, manual control. not the easiest thing to learn with. there are a few good do everything multi's around but cost $$$$.
if you want to learn tig i suggest something with HF which makes starts a whole lot easier.
but certainly ac/dc tig's are not cheap tho cheaper than a do everything multi.
tweak it until it breaks
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

As for the cost, welding isn't cheap anyway you look at it. Gotta pay to play. Maybe you need a new minister of war and finance. Some of those are downright tyrants and I wonder why they are in that position in the first place. I was at Home Depot, and a gentleman rolled his shopping cart to and told his "minister", "I got the angle grinder". The first response from the "minister" without asking if it was the right one was, "is that the cheapest one?". With his head down, and like a defeated puppy with his tail between his legs he replied, "yes.". So sad, really. A really great "minister" should have said "as long as we can afford it and its what you really want/need, thats fine".

that's why I buy beer when my minister isn't around. Damn face cream anyway.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Is that 'Minister' buying any perfume, makeup, or beauty products. Does she have more than 3 pairs of shoes? If so, cut her budget.

I have an Everlast 255EXT. Stay away from that brand. Their 5 year warranty is worthless. Mine is less than 2 years old and has a problem on AC. One of their excuses was my Tungsten was getting hot, and causing too much resistance. They will say anything to blame the user and not admit a problem with the machine. I will never buy from NEVERLAST again.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
TraditionalToolworks

VA-Sawyer wrote:I have an Everlast 255EXT. Stay away from that brand. Their 5 year warranty is worthless. Mine is less than 2 years old and has a problem on AC. One of their excuses was my Tungsten was getting hot, and causing too much resistance. They will say anything to blame the user and not admit a problem with the machine. I will never buy from NEVERLAST again.
Spartan, this ^^^^
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Cigweld hey. That means you are in Oz?
Do you have a TradeTools nearby? If so have a look in there. They have a bunch of well priced but reasonable quality machines in there like razer. Their warranty means something too.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

VA-Sawyer wrote:One of their excuses was my Tungsten was getting hot, and causing too much resistance.
They actually said this to you??!
Nethergate

Thanks for the reply’s! Yeh I’m in Australia sorry. Thanks for the information, the one I’ve been looking at is a miller.
https://www.revolutionindustrial.com.au ... vgQAvD_BwE
It’s pretty well priced, single or multiphase and does ac/dc.

I’ll have to do a bit more research before I buy. If it’s much more than $1000 I might have to just buy a quality arc welder and reassess when I have a bigger project.

I love the forum! Thanks for all the info

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:
VA-Sawyer wrote:One of their excuses was my Tungsten was getting hot, and causing too much resistance.
They actually said this to you??!
I've actually been suspecting that on my tungstens...they seem to be melting metal so they must be getting hot... :o
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

oh, nethergate, where are you?!?
Nethergate

Right here dude

tweake

Nethergate wrote:Thanks for the reply’s! Yeh I’m in Australia sorry. Thanks for the information, the one I’ve been looking at is a miller.
https://www.revolutionindustrial.com.au ... vgQAvD_BwE
It’s pretty well priced, single or multiphase and does ac/dc.
i think thats just the tig torch, welder sold separately.
usa brands are generally big $$$$ downunder.
tweak it until it breaks
tweake

tweak it until it breaks
TraditionalToolworks

tweake wrote:i think thats just the tig torch, welder sold separately.
usa brands are generally big $$$$ downunder.
No, you get a ground clamp also! :D

And a regulator and a gas hose.

That's misleading though, it shows a food pedal, and a spool gun and there's no foot pedal or spool gun in that package.

Certainly you don't get a Syncrowave 210 for that price, not even in America. A Syncrowave 210 is about U.S. $3k here in America.

You could always plug the torch into your ear and stick the gas hose in your backside...but that's about it unless you have a Dynasty or Syncrowave. :oops:

EDIT: actually says it's compatible with the Maxstar or Dynasty, even though they show the Syncrowave in the pic. :?:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Nethergate

Ah thanks for the pick up, I did think it looked like a big dollar welder, I would of been pretty disappointed if only the accessories turned up. But that one you linked looks like a winner, bit more than I wanted to spend but might have to sell my body on the street for pocket money. Thanks for your help everyone, its really helped out. No doubt after I purchase ill have a tonne of questions

tweake

Nethergate wrote:
Ah thanks for the pick up, I did think it looked like a big dollar welder, I would of been pretty disappointed if only the accessories turned up. But that one you linked looks like a winner, bit more than I wanted to spend but might have to sell my body on the street for pocket money. Thanks for your help everyone, its really helped out. No doubt after I purchase ill have a tonne of questions

there is also BOC

https://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au/welde ... g200acdc-p
https://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au/welde ... 5acdc-fc-p

i have both of those.

don't forget with aluminium you will want a foot pedal as well.
tweak it until it breaks
Nethergate

Wow thanks tweaks, those boc units look right up my alley. To answer your question I’m in Geelong, are you in Australia?

Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
VA-Sawyer wrote:I have an Everlast 255EXT. Stay away from that brand. Their 5 year warranty is worthless. Mine is less than 2 years old and has a problem on AC. One of their excuses was my Tungsten was getting hot, and causing too much resistance. They will say anything to blame the user and not admit a problem with the machine. I will never buy from NEVERLAST again.
Spartan, this ^^^^
Mmmhmmmm ;)
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Yes, and when I told him that I wasn't buying it, he then started saying it was the ground clamp getting hot and causing high resistance. When I said that wasn't going to fly either, he said he couldn't help me because I was a 'know it all'. What a Lug-nut!

It welds just fine on DC. Has real problems on AC. I will have to open it, and fix it myself.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

VA-Sawyer wrote:Yes, and when I told him that I wasn't buying it, he then started saying it was the ground clamp getting hot and causing high resistance. When I said that wasn't going to fly either, he said he couldn't help me because I was a 'know it all'. What a Lug-nut!

It welds just fine on DC. Has real problems on AC. I will have to open it, and fix it myself.
Have you always had problems with it on AC, or did it just suddenly appear? My 200DV has always been a bit fussy on AC, but my 210EXT (now sold) was fine on AC, and the 350EXT I recently got is great on AC.

The 200DV gets the job done on AC, but it was not quite on par with the others and so has mostly served as a DC machine, which is 90% of what I do anyway.
TraditionalToolworks

VA-Sawyer wrote:Yes, and when I told him that I wasn't buying it, he then started saying it was the ground clamp getting hot and causing high resistance. When I said that wasn't going to fly either, he said he couldn't help me because I was a 'know it all'. What a Lug-nut!
When I opened my i-Tig 201 there was that white sealer/insulator spooge stretched from the motherboard to the fan and the fan had pulled and wrapped a long booger around the fan. So I cleaned it all off of there, and the green weenie support told me I voided my warranty because I cleaned it off the fan... :?:

Tell me, where you using the Neverlast ground clamp? That would make it even funnier! :P
Collector of old Iron!

Alan