General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Aaron W
    Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm

Maybe this has been discussed and I just missed it.

I've been seeing ads for auto darkening welding glasses. Who are these aimed at? Wouldn't this end up giving you a pretty good skiers tan? (face all red except where the glasses were). I mean I know we want to protect our eyes, but we wear the the hood, gloves and long sleeves to protect our skin as well.

I feel like I'm missing something here.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

probably ok for oxy/acetylene welding.
tweak it until it breaks
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

tweake wrote:probably ok for oxy/acetylene welding.
No they're actually marketed towards welding, where the lenses darken 9-13.

https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/weld ... ask-m30023

They're meant to be used with a balaclava type hood over your head.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

There marketed for confined space work much like an old school leather helmet with a fixed lense. Not something you use day in day out.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Might also be useful for teaching scenarios if the students are at a safe enough distance. That way you don't have to pass out a bunch of helmets if just trying to quickly demo a certain run. Of course, the UV exposure to skin may still be of concern depending on how close they are.

May also be good for people "passing through" a welding area in large shops that do more than welding. Could have a bin at both doors to pick up and drop off the glasses.
Aaron W
    Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm

Ok, with the mask that makes more sense, I guess that would be helpful if trying to fit your head into a tight space.

I've been seeing them as side bar ads which don't show the mask, just the glasses. Out if context they keep making me think of those 3rd world welding videos you see of guys using regular sunglasses. Seemed like an odd market to aim for, its not like they are going to hop on Amazon to buy a pair when they can't even get basic PPE.
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

You can buy leather hoods and add auto darkening lens.
I have leather I use but with gold lens works great.

Dave

PS everyone here proof reads for me.
Aaron W wrote:Ok, with the mask that makes more sense, I guess that would be helpful if trying to fit your head into a tight space.

I've been seeing them as side bar ads which don't show the mask, just the glasses. Out if context they keep making me think of those 3rd world welding videos you see of guys using regular sunglasses. Seemed like an odd market to aim for, its not like they are going to hop on Amazon to buy a pair when they can't even get basic PPE.
Last edited by smithdoor on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Poland308

(auto dealing lens. )
Did you mean auto darkening?

Josh
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Poland308 wrote:(auto dealing lens. )
Maybe he meant "small keyboard". :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Maybe he meant "small keyboard". :lol:
I think he meant: "I refuse to take 5 seconds to review my posts for typos/auto correct issues". Almost like he's speaking in another language with most of his posts. If he doesn't care about being clear in his thoughts, then why should we care what he has to say?
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

I need to proof read
Doing computer work on phone with small keyboard.

Dave
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Spartan wrote:I think he meant: "I refuse to take 5 seconds to review my posts for typos/auto correct issues". Almost like he's speaking in another language with most of his posts. If he doesn't care about being clear in his thoughts, then why should we care what he has to say?
I think people would take him more seriously if he took those 5 seconds and/or used a keyboard to use the online forums. Somehow I think it's more than just a small keyboard. I don't see how you can edit text without a mouse, and posting pics would be difficult to position. I'm not trying to be mean, it just doesn't add up.

There are actually keyboards for tablets and phones if that is all one has.

I can't imagine using an online forum on a phone... :roll: I do check sometimes on my phone, but hate to reply, too difficult.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Spartan wrote:I think he meant: "I refuse to take 5 seconds to review my posts for typos/auto correct issues". Almost like he's speaking in another language with most of his posts. If he doesn't care about being clear in his thoughts, then why should we care what he has to say?
I think people would take him more seriously if he took those 5 seconds and/or used a keyboard to use the online forums. Somehow I think it's more than just a small keyboard. I don't see how you can edit text without a mouse, and posting pics would be difficult to position. I'm not trying to be mean, it just doesn't add up.

There are actually keyboards for tablets and phones if that is all one has.

I can't imagine using an online forum on a phone... :roll: I do check sometimes on my phone, but hate to reply, too difficult.
I use my phone all the time with the Tapatalk app.

My suspicion is that he is using speech to text and it’s not interpreting accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Oscar wrote:
tweake wrote:probably ok for oxy/acetylene welding.
No they're actually marketed towards welding, where the lenses darken 9-13.

https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/weld ... ask-m30023

They're meant to be used with a balaclava type hood over your head.
i had forgotten about that setup.
none of the cheap Chinese ones ever mentions that you need the rest of the gear.

like how many pro's, that have all the other gear many many $$$ worth at that level, are going to buy cheap crap gear.
tweak it until it breaks
Poland308

Originally they were marketed by a Taiwan company until Miller bought the rights.

Josh