General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

4 1/2 grinders.

I've been using my Makita's for several years. 2006 or so. I've got one that's getting hot now. Hot enough you need gloves. Yes, I am a wuss. It's not making funny noises, just heat. So time to have a back up ready.

I hear everyone saying metabo.

My question: have the Makitas done downhill since the 2006ish models? Is that why the Metabo talk? I am just not sure I need a $300 angle grinder or whatever these things are called.

I do use them daily. I also prefer to buy good tools. I have over 100k in tools I would guess. If you figure new purchase price times 25 years of being a professional tool user. But these darn makitas dont die. The dewalts did, the Milwaukee did...makita outlasted them all.

I have no need for a 6" grinder so I am guessing Metabo makes the 4 1/2 also.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Jakedaawg wrote:I hear everyone saying metabo.
I have no need for a 6" grinder so I am guessing Metabo makes the 4 1/2 also.
I can only speak for myself, but they're my favorite angle grinders. I have 3 angle grinders, 1 is a Milwaukee 4-1/2", 1 is a Metabo 4-1/2" and 1 is a Metabo 6".

I bought both of my Metabos used and rebuilt them, you can buy the bearings and brushes to do that yourself, so they're not as expensive that way. What makes the Metabos really nice is the special nut they have that attaches on the wheel, you don't need any additional tools to change the wheel.

I keep all 3 of mine setup differently and swap out wire wheel and flap on my Milwaukee and keep a grinding wheel on my 4-1/2" Metabo which I use a lot to bevel with and a cutoff wheel on my Metabo 6". The 6" is really nice to have a cutoff wheel on, it's a lot of extra depth of cut, even though it's only 3/4" extra it seems like a lot. Nice to get into those corners and inside fillets to grind down when needed also.

EDIT: Jake these 4-1/2" - 5" Metabo angle grinders are on sale, I do prefer the lock-on style, that allows you to lock the power on while using it. The other style has a paddle to pull. 48% off at Baker Gas, $113 w/free shipping. They do have a model with a slightly larger motor on them, but almost twice the price (11amp vs. 12 amp). They also have some with smaller motors, but I would caution you against too small a motor, they will be under powered. IMO, but they have one with a 7 amp motor and one with an 8.5 amp motor.

https://bakersgas.com/collections/angle ... -603623420

Here's the other style, same price, check the picks to see what I mention.

https://bakersgas.com/collections/angle ... -603624420
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Metabo paddle type. Safest and best I've used.
TraditionalToolworks

cj737 wrote:Metabo paddle type. Safest and best I've used.
I agree the paddle is safer, I just find it cumbersome. :)

I have a paddle on my Milwaukee.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Metabo bought out Hitachi not too long ago and introduced the Metabo HTP line which are cheaper, seem to be more marketed to the weekend warrior crowd, and may not be as high of quality (never used one, so only guessing). Just something to watch out for if you think you see an awesome deal on a Metabo that's too good to be true...you might just be looking at the little-brother line of theirs.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Why not call Makita and ask to have it fixed? You can send it to them with usually 1 day turnaround and they'll fix it for a very reasonable fee. Makita is awesome to deal with. You can also order parts from them and fix it yourself if you know what you need.
TraditionalToolworks

Spartan wrote:Metabo bought out Hitachi not too long ago and introduced the Metabo HTP line which are cheaper
Yes, thank you for reminding us of that. I noticed this in some saws recently and the reviews were less than favorable.

I wonder if some of these cheaper Metabo grinders are Hitachis in sheep's clothing? These look like Metabos though...at least comparing them to the ones I have. Mine are pretty old now...
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
I wonder if some of these cheaper Metabo grinders are Hitachis in sheep's clothing?
That's a really good point. It probably sure would be tempting for Metabo to incorporate some of the cheaper Hitachi parts (and factory processes) into their true "Metabo" line in addition to their HTP line. Can't really blame a company for trying to widen their profit margins. Or can you?... :lol:
TraditionalToolworks

Spartan wrote:That's a really good point. It probably sure would be tempting for Metabo to incorporate some of the cheaper Hitachi parts (and factory processes) into their true "Metabo" line in addition to their HTP line. Can't really blame a company for trying to widen their profit margins. Or can you?... :lol:
I have a lot of respect for the German engineers, I own a fair amount of German product and the German engineers are just amazing. So amazing that I wouldn't put it past them to use a Metabo case with Hitachi electronics inside... ;)

Let's hope they don't do that, but I agree with you and I don't think we can blame anyone for doing something like that these days, it's all about ROI and time to market. That's the world we live in and with China it's be a race to the bottom. I'm also just as guilty as other people who buy products from there, in many cases I can't help it. We really need to get this country back into manufacturing our own products, we shouldn't be dependent on anyone.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
    Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm

Metabo paddle. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HTP Invertig 221H w/ Arctic Chill cooler and CK20 torch
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0

Depending on how you take care of your tools any name brand :o would probably give good service life, but if your shop environment is especially cruel then more $$$ may be needed for the top of the line.

I see on Amazon a 4.5" Metabo 8.5 amp is $113 but the 10.5 amp is $259 :( this is for the real Metabo not the breed (HPT)
Richard
Website
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

metabo are good but usually very $$$.
so it depends on how much you use it.
biggest issue is usually people pushing the tool to hard, making it cut big material when a bigger grinder would be more suited.

i'm a bosh fan, but i don't use them everyday. these days i'm hobbyist so a lot of the hobby range works just fine.

the other way some guys do it is to buy the dirt cheap brands and just thrown them when they break.

i highly recommend getting a variable speed grinder. that comes in real handy.
tweak it until it breaks
Spartan

I like Dewalt power tools. Good bang for the buck for me and my shop. The amount of yellow in the view has steadily increased over the years. It just works well, and keeps working. Of course, we are not a full on production shop operating in shifts and working the tools hard all day everyday.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

tweake wrote:metabo are good but usually very $$$.
I’ve never met a welder that didn’t have a grinder at the ready either for cleaning, polishing, cutting or prepping material before or after welding it. So, if you’re going to weld, you need at least 1 good grinder. I have 4 always, and at time have owned 7. Tool thieves suck :evil:
tweake

cj737 wrote:
tweake wrote:metabo are good but usually very $$$.
I’ve never met a welder that didn’t have a grinder at the ready either for cleaning, polishing, cutting or prepping material before or after welding it. So, if you’re going to weld, you need at least 1 good grinder. I have 4 always, and at time have owned 7. Tool thieves suck :evil:
yes, but do you buy one expensive grinder or two cheaper ones. all of which is last longer than you can remember the price.
i would spend more on the features than on the brand name.

the new xlock feature is interesting. make it much quicker to change disks.
tweak it until it breaks

tweake wrote:
yea but now you're buying proprietary discs?
Richard
Website
tweake

LtBadd wrote:
tweake wrote:
yea but now you're buying proprietary discs?
i've got the model before that. it hadn't come out here then.
but i do understand there is a few manufactures who have jumped onboard, both grinder manufactures and abrasive manufactures.
i don't think Bosch is silly enough to restrict it as it requires mass market for it to stay around.
so i would expect more abrasive manufactures to make them as time goes on.

for those who do a lot of disc changes, its probably a real time saver.
tweak it until it breaks
TraditionalToolworks

LtBadd wrote:yea but now you're buying proprietary discs?
The Metabo setup doesn't require any tools and uses standard discs. :D
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
TraditionalToolworks

tweake wrote:yes, but do you buy one expensive grinder or two cheaper ones. all of which is last longer than you can remember the price.
I think it depends on what type of tools one likes to use. In my case I have 1 Milwaukee and 2 Metabos, I like using the Metabos better. Anything can be treated as buy once cry once from my perspective. ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan

These are the only proprietary cutoff wheels I use. And boy what a step up they are from 20 years ago and those horrible emery disks they sold (and still do sell) that are the reason I am still adamant about wearing safety glasses. Because you actually needed them with those! The risk of eye injury was as close to 100% as you can get. :lol:
dremel-ez456-64_1000.jpg
dremel-ez456-64_1000.jpg (81.74 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

cheap grinders for the win, LOL.

Using 3M abrasives, it's like they have 50% more amperage/power.

Spartan

Dollars to donuts, that's a Dewalt grinder you have just out of frame on the right side.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

You owe me a dolla!

Refresh the page.
Spartan

Oscar wrote:You owe me a dolla!

Refresh the page.
Dang it! AND you changed the pic in the original post, so now I look like a numbskull. Touche, Oscar. Touche. :lol:
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

If you're talking years of daily use, I honestly wouldn't blame Makita for it eventually starting to wear out. If you've ever bogged a grinder down for even 15-20 minutes let alone hours you know those things can get HOT, even when they're new. I've never really seen an old grinder in a weld shop or class, my school uses all metabo grinders, but they're definitely a couple years old at most. At work there are a couple grinders that all look 10 years old, but they're date stamped 2019 :shock:

A 10.5 amp Metabo will definitely serve you well and will last a lot of years, but so will a good Makita, and if you hardly use it or split the usage between several grinders so will a 40-50 dollar Porter Cable. As Oscar said, its definitely not a terrible idea to get 3-4 cheaper grinders and use high quality abrasives either.