General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

So I see Jody promoting the black version of his welding gloves more and more. They must be popular. Not sure he even offers the white ones anymore.

What am I missing here?? I stopped using black gloves years ago because they get noticeably hotter both from the sun when working outdoors, and also when welding indoors due to absorbing and retaining more of the IR heat from the arc (IMO).

What's with their popularity? For you guys that use/like them, is there some benefit I'm missing?
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Spartan wrote:What's with their popularity? For you guys that use/like them, is there some benefit I'm missing?
I don't use the, I still use white, but the reason I was considering them was because white ones get pretty dirty.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Spartan wrote:What's with their popularity? For you guys that use/like them, is there some benefit I'm missing?
I don't use the, I still use white, but the reason I was considering them was because white ones get pretty dirty.
The "getting dirty" part was the only potential benefit I could see. But in reality, the black ones will get just as dirty...you just won't be able to tell. And then you're feeding filler rod with a dirty black glove, when you may have opted for a cleaner set if you knew how dirty they were.
TraditionalToolworks

Spartan wrote:The "getting dirty" part was the only potential benefit I could see. But in reality, the black ones will get just as dirty...you just won't be able to tell.
Ignorance is bliss... :lol:
Spartan wrote:And then you're feeding filler rod with a dirty black glove, when you may have opted for a cleaner set if you knew how dirty they were.
I don't think the dirt is coming off that easy, I do clean my filler with acetone. ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I bought a set or two of the black ones only because they were what he had in stock at the time. I have not even tried them on yet I don't think. Till my other gloves are relegated to dirt work, I'm going to continue using them. All of my welding is indoors so the sun isn't an issue for me.
TraditionalToolworks

I ordered a pair of the black tig gloves earlier today. I'll let you know what I think.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BugHunter

Trying to win a grinder eh? :lol:
TraditionalToolworks

BugHunter wrote:Trying to win a grinder eh? :lol:
If I win that grinder, I will be raving about these black gloves for a long time... :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan

BugHunter wrote:Trying to win a grinder eh? :lol:
I also just so happened to pick up a couple of clamps and an extra TIG finger from Jody this weekend :lol: :lol:
TraditionalToolworks

Spartan wrote:I also just so happened to pick up a couple of clamps and an extra TIG finger from Jody this weekend :lol: :lol:
Ok, gotta be honest here...have you received your order yet? I ordered on last Sunday, and according to USPS it's expected to arrive on Monday. I ordered a couple things from HTP America on Sunday, actually after I ordered my black gloves...I received my HTP America order today (heel rest for SSC style pedal, 12' tig torch cable cover, 1 x 1/8" LaZY tungsten). I actually wanted the tig torch cable cover, I didn't have one for my 15' CK Worldwide 17 Flexhead that came with my Primeweld, and I do have one for my 25' CK. Nice and flexible, I like it, so wanted another one. I filled the order out with the heel rest and tungsten to get free shipping. ;)

So I ordered the same day from HTP America and Weldmonger, got free shipping from HTP America, paid for shipping at Weldmoger (only $4.25 for shipping though), and waiting for the tig gloves until Monday... :P And yes, I could have filled out my order at Weldmonger to get free shipping, but you need $75 for free shipping on Weldmonger and you only need $35 on HTP America.

All in stride, I like shopping at Weldmonger, but just being honest here! :lol:

This heel rest rocks! Jeff Nolan is good people to shop with also! Fits my Primeweld pedal perfectly. ;)

Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan

Spartan wrote:I also just so happened to pick up a couple of clamps and an extra TIG finger from Jody this weekend :lol: :lol:
Ok, gotta be honest here...have you received your order yet? I ordered on last Sunday, and according to USPS it's expected to arrive on Monday. I ordered a couple things from HTP America on Sunday, actually after I ordered my black gloves...I received my HTP America order today (heel rest for SSC style pedal, 12' tig torch cable cover, 1 x 1/8" LaZY tungsten). I actually wanted the tig torch cable cover, I didn't have one for my 15' CK Worldwide 17 Flexhead that came with my Primeweld, and I do have one for my 25' CK. Nice and flexible, I like it, so wanted another one. I filled the order out with the heel rest and tungsten to get free shipping. ;)

So I ordered the same day from HTP America and Weldmonger, got free shipping from HTP America, paid for shipping at Weldmoger (only $4.25 for shipping though), and waiting for the tig gloves until Monday... :P And yes, I could have filled out my order at Weldmonger to get free shipping, but you need $75 for free shipping on Weldmonger and you only need $35 on HTP America.

All in stride, I like shopping at Weldmonger, but just being honest here! :lol:

This heel rest rocks! Jeff Nolan is good people to shop with also! Fits my Primeweld pedal perfectly. ;)

Yup. Received mine on Tuesday I think. Very prompt. But he’s also only a couple states away from me, I believe.
TraditionalToolworks

Spartan wrote:Yup. Received mine on Tuesday I think. Very prompt. But he’s also only a couple states away from me, I believe.
I used to always get USPS in a couple days, but lately it seems to take close to a week from the east coast.... :(

Must be because of the Wuhan plague...although HTP America is in IL. which is like 3/4 of the way across the country.

What's the verdict on the gloves? Are they all they're cracked up to be? I suspect they would have been a lot sweeter with a free tungsten grinder... :lol: But aside from that how do they work as tig gloves like they were intended? :D
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan

Spartan wrote:Yup. Received mine on Tuesday I think. Very prompt. But he’s also only a couple states away from me, I believe.
I used to always get USPS in a couple days, but lately it seems to take close to a week from the east coast.... :(

Must be because of the Wuhan plague...although HTP America is in IL. which is like 3/4 of the way across the country.

What's the verdict on the gloves? Are they all they're cracked up to be? I suspect they would have been a lot sweeter with a free tungsten grinder... :lol: But aside from that how do they work as tig gloves like they were intended? :D
I didn't get any of the black gloves. Just some clamps and another TIG finger. I normally just get gloves from my LWS. They have the Tillmans I like and for the cheapest prices I've found, so win-win on good prices and supporting my LWS. Hooray! :lol:
TraditionalToolworks

Spartan wrote:I didn't get any of the black gloves. Just some clamps and another TIG finger. I normally just get gloves from my LWS. They have the Tillmans I like and for the cheapest prices I've found, so win-win on good prices and supporting my LWS. Hooray! :lol:
I have bought all of my gloves from my LWS, but wanted to try these since Jody was raving about them. Mine look pretty similar and in fact could be the same glove, I'll compare when I get them.

My favorite are the Tillman 24C, so far the best tig gloves for me, about $15 at my LWS. Made out of kidskin. I also have some 24B gloves, they're made out of deerskin but pretty thin, IMO. I also have some Tillman 1328 but wish I would have gotten one size larger. A bit tight.

I use the Tig Finger XL mostly.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
TraditionalToolworks

Black Gloves Matter!

They arrived...very comfortable, too hot to try them out, but they fit well.

Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BugHunter

No free tungsten grinder in the box?

:lol:
TraditionalToolworks

BugHunter wrote:No free tungsten grinder in the box?

:lol:
I checked 3 times... :x

Didn't even come in a box, just a padded envelope...but shipping was only $4, so no complaints! :D
Collector of old Iron!

Alan