General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Rippin_Lip
    Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:04 pm

Hello All! New to the forum here. Been welding TIG on Stainless and Ti for 8 years mostly gauge material and some structurals with MIG as jobs come through. Looking for some help with weld specifications and call outs on a job I'm quoting. First off, Where can I find details on welding in accordance with 01417 SD-X12142 Class 3? Weld Metal called out is E-100. Not sure if this is the same as Lincoln Electric and Washington Alloys ER100s-1 which falls under the same spec (AWS 5.28) as the called out E-100 on the prints. I can not find a filler called "E-100".

Next Question is about the call outs on the drawing attached. So in my understanding it calls out bevel both sides and weld arrow side with .12 leg. wrap both sides of the weld. Not sure if my interpretation is correct as I don't see a field weld call out and not sure why it would call out bevel both sides and only weld one side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
weld specs.jpg
weld specs.jpg (28.76 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
Millermatic 211, Hobart Ironman 240, Everlast PowerTIG 315lx, Evelast Power iTIG 200T
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Looks like they mean welded all the way around, even on the ends. Must be pretty thin material. I don’t know about the material spec.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:20 am

You've got great questions. I get maybe not looking bad... Maybe just ask for more specifics from the project manager.

If I were to hire you, personally I'd respect you wanting clarification. Again, I get you might not want to look bad. For me, I say ask...
Rippin_Lip

Poland308 wrote:Looks like they mean welded all the way around, even on the ends. Must be pretty thin material. I don’t know about the material spec.

The plate will be .380 and the tube will be 5/16" with flats milled in it.
Millermatic 211, Hobart Ironman 240, Everlast PowerTIG 315lx, Evelast Power iTIG 200T
Rippin_Lip

SlowTrafcKpRht wrote:You've got great questions. I get maybe not looking bad... Maybe just ask for more specifics from the project manager.

If I were to hire you, personally I'd respect you wanting clarification. Again, I get you might not want to look bad. For me, I say ask...
I may just end up doing that if I can't get some good clarification. Thanks for the reply!
manac
    Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:43 am

The way I read it:
Other side, .12 bevel of part, .18 bevel weld
Arrow side, .12 bevel of part, .18 bevel weld, combination weld .12 Fillet weld.
Wrap ends.
Take it with a grain of salt. I'm not a welding engineer but have designed weldments in the past.
Also any good engineer will be glad to explain or help with a drawing.
From ASW Welding Handbook Vol 1
Rippin_Lip

manac wrote:The way I read it:
Other side, .12 bevel of part, .18 bevel weld
Arrow side, .12 bevel of part, .18 bevel weld, combination weld .12 Fillet weld.
Wrap ends.
Take it with a grain of salt. I'm not a welding engineer but have designed weldments in the past.
Also any good engineer will be glad to explain or help with a drawing.
From ASW Welding Handbook Vol 1
After further research, This actually makes sense. Going to confirm with my customer to see if they can get in touch with quality control for these parts and confirm exactly what they will be measuring for. Thanks!