General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
shrimp_scampi
    Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:36 pm

Forgive me if this is a played out question but I would like some insight on decent respirators. I am self taught and using a Lincoln stick welder in the garage. I mostly make sculpture and odd stuff out of a variety of scrap steel, much of which is oily or painted so this creates a lot of nasty fumes. I have a few fans and use a Miller respirator mask but normally end up feeling it in my throat after I've been at it a while. Not trying to breathe in any more of whatever nasty carcinogens I'm making than I have to. I have a beard so a tight seal might be an issue too. Any recommendations on a better mask?
Onelick
    Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:24 pm

I'm also looking for respirator recommendations. I'm looking for a respirator that will fit under my helmet. I'm looking to upgrade my Weldmark helmet to an ESAB savage A40. Any suggestions on a P100 respirator that will fit?

Thanks,
Onelick
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

I use the 3M 7502 respirator with the 2097 filters. Fits under any hood I've used it with. But, admittedly, I don't use it under my hood very often. Can't speak to whether or not it will fit under that Esab, but I would think likely so.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Facepiece-Res ... B008MCUT86
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The standard 3m or Honeywell half face low profile is a great start. With n95 cartridges it’s as good as it gets without a full face pap system.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Respirators are useless with heavy beards IMO. My friend that worked for 3M would tell me stories about this kind of stuff when he presented to large companies about how people wanted to keep their beards but didn't want to sacrifice on their breathing safety either. Funny stuff. Case in point: lose the beard IMO. 3M 7075 or 6503 with 2297 filters.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Oscar wrote:Respirators are useless with heavy beards IMO. My friend that worked for 3M would tell me stories about this kind of stuff when he presented to large companies about how people wanted to keep their beards but didn't want to sacrifice on their breathing safety either. Funny stuff. Case in point: lose the beard IMO. 3M 7075 or 6503 with 2297 filters.
My beard is there to serve as the first-stage, large particulate separator. It's a vital part of my respirator system. :lol:

For those unaware of my dry humor, I am just making a joke. Oscar is certainly on point about the beards...
Onelick
    Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:24 pm

I just ordered the ESAB Savage A40 and the Miller LPR-100 respirator. The Miller looked like it would fit under a helmet the best. I'll post here what I find.

Onelick