General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Ken
  • Ken
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:24 pm

I work for the City of Va beach school system as a fence and fabrication mechanic, I do fences (yep its true) and build many things out of nothing and I usually end up welding my own parts together. Here's my delima, for the last four years I have been doing my job with an old Thermoarc welder that only does a 3/332 rod, well....the school system here is buying all Aluminum bleachers now days so I am in charge of fixing them which means I have to weld them back together, my welder won't do the job so I have been told I must do all the research and pricing for a new welder that is capable of using a aluminum spool gun. the city weld shop uses Miller Bobcat 250's with a control box and a spool gun for field miging aluminum, if I was to get a Lincoln Electric Ranger 225, will the Miller control box to run the spool gun work with that unit? And will I be able to weld Aluminum with the Ranger? Only reason I'm even asking is the city won;t buy a $4000 Miller if they can buy a $3000 Lincoln.
I can make all the necessary connections with the leads and everything I just need to know if the control box will work.
Please help :)
FluxCore
    Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 am

Sounds possible.
Have you discussed it with Miller AND Lincoln?
When considering spending that kinda money, especially your employer's money, I'd seek answers direct from both companys via email....and SAVE the emails in the event you buy it and it doesn't work after all ...It's call 'covering yer butt' :)
If both agree, then buy it....If not, then you have the necessary ammo to justify buying correct equipment at higher price from Miller.
Hobart 210MVP
Hobart 235AC/DC Stickmate
Hypertherm Powermax 45
HF O/A
Longevity Stickweld 140 (intended for Tig)
Ken
  • Ken
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:24 pm

I haven't spoke with Miller or Lincoln but I did call Arcet welding supply and spoke with their service and sales reps, the both said that the control box ALL work on the Ranger, The service rep said the control box (WC115A) will work on any welder with the proper setup, so I need to see if an old Lincoln I have in storage will light off and run the box, if it does, all I will need then is a long bulgy cord and a cheap grill cover and I'll put the old times in the back of my truck and see if I can weld alu with that before spending $3000 tax payer dollars on a new one :) (that outta make major brownie points down town huh?)

If it works I'll try to remember to come on here and tel yall about it cause the Lincoln I have in storage is roughly 30 years old, its so old it has a property sticker on it that says Princess Anne County Public Schools, The county has been incorporated as a city since 1972, and since then its been City of Virginia Beach City Public Schools on all equipment.