General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
weldnfab
    Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:28 am

I found your site last evening while searching out some newer ideas for a utility trailor... I see you have many newer people to welding. I must commend you all on your acceptance of these newer welding students, and everyday people who may only pose interest in welding as a hobby. Welding is a fascinating vocation. What most people dont realize is that if we live or die as a country?.. it is only because we have blue collar workers. Not everyone can sit in an office giving directions. We must encourage our young people to want to build and create. We have to lead and direct in the finer techniques of fabrication/ construction so the next generation does not lose out on these valuble skill sets.
By last count I have been welding around 28 years... the last 18 of which have been employed in a job shop where we literally make almost everything. If I have a specialty... it would probably be Stairways and ornamental handrails..To those who feel I am being a "know-it-all".... my responce has become this.... "I have seen or made that mistake before..."
My personal goal on every project has always been this.... to make it look better than store bought. The reason?... anybody can slap something together with very little forethought or insight, cutting apart or hacking away until it finally resembles the original idea... along with all the grinding/ scarfing,warping examples left behind. ( most of the reasons for certifications are because so many have slapped stuff together for so long.) If you are just learning?... pay attention to details... it is those little things that actually make the final project worthy of being paid for. If you do make a mistake... correct it with all the care you can... maybe it will not show up later. Try to visualize the final product before you start... often you can see little things that might need changing before you begin, tweaking a fittup before it becomes a screwup.
Everybody makes mistakes... especially draftsman/ architects. Develope a repoir with the people who draw/design your products, they may allow you to give input saving time and grief later. Work on doing things right... speed will come later. ( Dont use this as an excuse to take all day on something though.) Unless unavoidable... dont point out your minor mistakes to the customers.... most cannot see a fraction of an inch... and some final projects dont have that fine of a tolerance anyway. And last but not least..... Have fun... very few occupations allow you to have so much personal pride in a job well done....because they were built right.... years later I can still point out projects to my kids... and if blessed with the time... maybe my grandkids someday.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, and, well said!

I've been welding for 30 years, and I got a big smile from your phrase, "I have seen or made that mistake before...". I'm sure, however, I'll still be surprised by some mistake I have yet to see or make.

This forum seems to be unique. I've found no other like it, where there are welders of all skill levels in all processes who get along so splendidly. Nowhere else can the rawest beginner ask any question no matter how basic, and get nothing but well thought out answers, without some cocky jackasses ranting about "stupid questions".

If you've had a chance to peruse the site's main page, you've seen the wealth of knowledge our patron shares for free. His no-nonsense, "here's how I do it" approach kind of sets the tone.

Steve S.
Billbong
    Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:28 am

Hi, I can add to that..... "I haven't made that mistake before"......LOL.......that happens everytime I miscalculate or misread the drawing....got that from a Spanish guy who worked in the same factory as I did.

He once confided in me and said, "I can't teach you anything you don't already know, but by long experience I'll teach you how to get out of the mistakes you will make".....it was my second job just 6 months out of my apprenticeship.

He was a nice enough fellow, but boy did he have a lot of "experience".
Ian.