General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
DARCY
    Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:29 pm

IM NOT SURE WHEN ITS A GOOD IDEA TO GET SOME STATIC DISSIPATING BOOTS. DOES ANYONE HAVE SOME ADVICE FOR THIS NEW WELDER ?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Static dissipation is for when you're dealing with sensitive electronics. Instrument technicians often wear them.

My work boots are the opposite; EH (electric hazard) rated. Since we welders get shocked on occasion, I don't think I'd want my boots (ergo, my feet) as a potential ground path.

Steve S.
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

Kinda off topic but just wondering what boots you guys weld with. My shop make us wear steel toes and my pair was seen much better days, LOL seven years worth and the supervisors are making me get a new pair. I went looking but everything was so stiff. Anyone have anyideas?

I wear only Wolverines.

I usually spend $100 to $150.

They're the most comfortable boots I've worked in.

I have friends who swear by "Carolina" boots, say they require no break-in.

I have co-workers who swear by Red Wing boots, though I can't stand them.

I had a pair of Justin work boots. Very comfortable, but not suited for welding. The sole does not self-extinguish if it catches fire. I got a bad Hot-Foot learning that.

My best suggestion is to go to a store with many options (Here, it's Academy Sports and Outdoors), and try them on. Take a couple laps of the store in each pair.

Also, don't EVER buy $45 Wal-Mart work boots. Your feet will hate you. Those boots are why country-music songs are about how much work sucks.
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

Right now I have a pair of Rockies and loved them but can't find them anymore. I went to cabelas and tried out z bunch but could find anything I liked. It sucks when you wear a pair for so long nothing feels right. I agree I did not like red wings I bought a pair about 10 years ago and they did not last a year in a shop environment, pretty bad for 200 dollars.
DARCY
    Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Happy to hear so much feedback on what was seemingly an obvious topic. I kept in mind your reco's and went to my local work safety outlet. I was hunting for Static dissipating. Having no luck I tried a few "ohm" boots on. Finally I decided on a pair for around 160 and was somewhat satisfied. Thrown on a pair of comfy Goodhue boots and headed out.
Thanks crowd. Good looking out
Nuno Xavier
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:36 am

Here in Europe 80% of the welders use "Jallatte" boots. They are very comfortable and can handle lots of hard work. They have boots for winter also.

But my preference goes to one new brand that have a new inside from 3M that calls Thinsulate.
They are very lite and warm in the winter and you can use it also in the summer without get your feet at 50ºC.

Were is a pic from both

My boots (leg not included) :D
Nuno Xavier from Portugal
Rodiron
    Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:51 am

It seems like no matter where ya go this subject always comes up, and for good reason, the amount of time we spend on our feet, the beating a pair of boots take in this trade,and the cost of a good pair of boots.To me what boots a welder chooses is a personal thing,hell they are like your "other" home for the amount of time you spend in them. I myself have worn Redwings since the late 60's, I've tried other brands but always go back to Redwings, and thats why I say its a personal thing. I read one post here where the welder bought a pair of Redwings about 10yrs. ago and they didn't last anytime. I know he was right because I went through the same thing.The damn soles didn't last a year and I went to Redwing about the boots,and this was the same time that they changed the sole desigh and finally got rid of the "stiches" around the sole that you would burn out right off the get go,unless you put plastic wood over them like I used to do. Anyway what I was told was that the EPA would no longer let them use the chemicals they used to use in the sole composit.Long story short, they resoled my boots (free of charge)with the old type soles and I got 2more years,then resoled them again and got 2 more, the tops and toe couldn't stand another one. Like I said, its a personal thing and you can bet my feet are worth me getting the best I can for them, and the comment on the WalMart boots, damn if you didn't hit that one on the head. I'd see helpers or newbys come on the job wearing them and I'd tell them right off the bat, "save your money and invest in some good boots cause you're gonna need a pair in a couple months." Even though I've been retired (somewhat) for over 2yrs. I still wear steel toed Redwings everyday, it must be like the ol' mule thing,can't beat anything new into my head,lol Damn if I haven't wrote a chapter here, I hope ya'll will overlook the babblings of a ol' pipewelder,lol a great day to everyone and make sure you have some "happy feets".