General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Pepper23
    Tue May 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi everybody, I have a question for boilermakers that I haven't been able to get a definite answer for on my own. I'm currently in school and just about to finish my general welder program. Recently a recruiter for the boilermakers out of local 13 visited our school and is looking for guys who can weld tube w/ tig root and 7018 the rest of the way out. Apparently there is a shortage coming up this fall and if you can pass this test they will take you on as an apprentice. My instructor put together a short course specifically to pass this test and I'm set to begin the first week of June.

Now the question I have is I understand that boilermakers do a lot of power plants and schools and background checks are required on certain jobs. When I was 18 I got a drug paraphernalia charge but since then I've had it expunged and I no longer have to report it when going for work. I'm just wondering if I'm safe because I don't want to go through all the trouble of joining just to have the work I can get be severely limited because I can't get clearance. I called local 13 and asked them and the guy couldn't give me an answer however be said if I was able to get a TWIC card I should be alright. I checked the TWIC website and I didn't see anything that would hold me back.

Either way I know getting my 6G certs can only help me but I'm after the money and prestige of being a boilermaker but I would like a little reasurrance. Thank you for your help!
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Pepper23.

Welcome aboard.
No help on the question ... but others might have some input.

Lots of jobs do unannounced chemical testing though.
The good old days of half a beer or a couple drags before welding up the qualification joint are out of question anymore.

Enjoy the boilermakers.
Alexa
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I'm not strictly qualified for the answer to your question as I'm in the UK - but in my youth I was not exactly an angel !! I do however go into a couple of local schools for occasional welding work & the only check is that your not on any kown sex offenders register ! beyond that their not interested.
If they stopped people working because of one ( alleged ! ) bong or whatever I'd be shocked - if they found your meth lab that might be a problem - bottom line is step up & do the job - if your good at it and their short of guys an employer would look the other way 9 times outa 10 on this stuff. good luck.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

No worries, Pepper23,

The background checks look for property crimes such as theft and fraud, and violent crimes. Really bad credit can hurt you, too.

A parephrenalia charge when you were 18, especially without a related possesion charge, is meaningless.

I passed a 7-year background for Hemlock, where industrial espionage was an additional concern, and my background is about as "spotless" as a Jackson Pollock painting.

Steve S
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

If your record is expunged, you should be fine. If it does become a problem, you can petition the court and the government for a pardon which will completely wipe it off your record. The only thing that might pose a problem would be working or moving to another country, but a pardon should take care of that too.

I was no angel when I was younger either, one year I had a DUI in one state and 2 drug possession charges in two different states. A year later I had a CDL and was driving trucks across the country. Go figure!

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder