General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I have never seen this before, but it may already exist. Is there such a thing as a gas bottle regulator with a longer tube between the bottle shut off valve/outlet and the pressure regulator gauges? I am forever scraping my knuckles on the gauge glass side when I go to turn the gas off! Just an inch or two more space between the two would save me a lot of bandages.

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Delraydella.

What is the manufacturer and model of your regulator?

Alexa
goforthjp
    Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:51 pm

delraydella wrote:I have never seen this before, but it may already exist. Is there such a thing as a gas bottle regulator with a longer tube between the bottle shut off valve/outlet and the pressure regulator gauges? I am forever scraping my knuckles on the gauge glass side when I go to turn the gas off! Just an inch or two more space between the two would save me a lot of bandages.

Other Steve
I know what your saying brother, I'm sick of it too. Don't know if they make them like that or not, but they should.
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

IIRC, there is a maximum that the regulator can extend away from the bottle. Don't remember where I heard it so it may be a myth. Has something to do with safety, with regards to the closer the regulator is to the tank, less chance of it getting broken off in a knock down, or something like that.

Might be easier to make an adapter for the valve handle itself, that you can just slip on and off that brings your hands 'above' the regulator.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
BAP
  • BAP
    Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:56 am

Messing with the high pressure of the gas bottle or being successful in making a longer adapter to attain the clearance you want may not be the safest solution. Have you thought about being able to extend just the tap handle portion vertically. I have an old propane bottle (tap) handle that has solved this problem with small alterations.

Hope this helps... on the other hand after you scrape enough skin off over the years it is no longer a problem.

bap
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

On the liquid hydrogen trailers I work on, there's a pair of helium bottles located 35' from the regulator.

Schedule 80 pipe and 3000# fittings. Oh, and two braided flex-lines on the bottle-pressure side. Usually charged to 2600+PSI.

While the bottle adapter fittings come in different lengths, they're usually no more than 4" total. There's no reason you can't separate the fitting from the regulator body, and add a 3000# coupling and a 2" sch. 80 nipple (all 1/4" NPT). Use a good quality pipe dope, and bubble test it.

As long as the bottle is secure while in use, I don't recall any regulations regarding the plumbing.

Steve S