General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:22 pm

The boiler in my apartment was recently replaced, the guys who were welding it up left something to be desired to say the least. I few days after the boiler was installed they had another fellow come and just weld up all the steam lines. I noticed he was using a Lincoln Fleetweld 5P+. I believe its a 6010 wire, i could be mistaken. He really laid down a great bead but what I noticed was after he welded the pipe he took a cutting disc and ground out the toes of the weld enough that you could stick your fingernail in the groove with about a .001 to .003 depth. When i questioned him about this practice, he stated this was part of the new code for a 6G stick weld. I realize there should be little or no undercut at all, but making a groove in an area that has the potential for failure does not make any sense. Has anyone else heard of or utilize this practice, please post your comments.
Last edited by tbonaviso on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:46 pm

To the best of my knowledge (my AWS/CWI ran out 5 tears ago), there has been no change in any applicable code.
You are correct; Lincoln 5P is a specialty brand of the E6010 family

My guess is that he was pulling your leg...WHY?...just because he could!

Many welders choose to use the edge of a file to run around the toes of pipe or tubes to ensure they left no slag deposits.
If they did have minor undercut, this practice "hides" it somewhat.

Depending on the depth of the ridge he left behind, this may or may not be a good practice.
I've rejected a few with excessive filing.

Just another tool in an experienced welders Bag O' Tricks.

By the way ....Good Question!!!

Mike
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'll take what Mike said one step farther...

This guy wasn't intentionally pulling your leg, he's an idiot who doesn't know any better. He learned about filing the toes, to hide a multitude of minor (but passable) sins, and decided it took too long. A zip wheel will "hide" things in a hurry. He has no understanding of why undercut is bad in the first place, and just wants to make it look like a "big boy" weld in the shortest amount of time.

There's a reason a file is used in this practice... It leaves no square edges (stress risers), and you REALLY have to work to take out too much material. With a zip-wheel, you only have to flinch to damage the pipe beyond a CWI's "pass".

Steve S

Thanks Guys, just looking for a little clarity. I'm not certified for 6G, but I know when something just does not look right.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Tony, I think I'd take some pictures of this bullcrap, just for the hell of it.

Should there be a failure in your building's steam piping, you'll be the one with the evidence.

If not, you'll have a reminder of what "not" to do.

Steve S
blaz
    Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture. Pictures help me learn. :geek:

Here is the photo you guys asked for, its not the best quality but I think by looking at it you will get the idea.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (25.77 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
Vince51
    Sun May 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Wow I'm surprised that passed the state inspection. I'm not well educated in boiler codes, but most would reject it from arc strikes alone I would think.

That was not a very good photo, I'm working on getting better ones. You can see from that photo that the toes are feathered pretty deep. If its going to fail that would be the place!