General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
sniffer
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:49 am

Hi. I need help on a voltage issue. I bought a Lincoln Idealarc Tig 250. It is Plated 415 volts. I am in Australia. We have 240 volts ran to all homes here. Is there a way i can run this machine on 240. I know these machines came out with a transformer that you can change the wires over for 200/208 or 220/230 or 440/460. This one however has 415 only. Are there any GURUS out there that can help. It does not require 3 phase. Thank You in Advance..Sniffer....
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Try contacting Lincoln directly. I always found them and Miller extremely helpful with technical issues.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

You could probably get a step up transformer that would boost your power to what's required by the welder. An industrial supply store should carry these. No idea on what one would cost, but they can be fairly costly.

Good luck!

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Sniffer.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

If you take the cover off where the power line passes into the machine on my Miller Dialarc 250 instructions show connections for 460,230, or 200 volt. Might your Lincoln be similar?
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

I'm thinking the step up transformer might be your best bet if your unit does not have multiple taps. Your machine is not very portable, so an added heavy transformer shouldn't be too much of an extra burden. lol
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm an electrician in Vermont. I know little about Idaalarc. I own their competitor the Dialarc made by miller. As we don't have the voltage you have, I'm not too sure. I bet your market isn't big enough to warrant Lincoln building a different machine. Typically they tap transformer windings in several places. By rearranging the windings in series or parallel, or tapping a winding less than either end they can accommodate different voltages.
Open the case to view the windings. Are there a number of points provided to connect wires? Is there any labeling on the windings?