General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Hello

I have tried to find hand files that won't affect to corrosion resistance from my local shops. So far I have checked 5 places, but with no results :?

So that got me thinking that does people even use stainless files anymore? Do you guys own files for stainless or just use the same that is used for carbon steel?
-Markus-
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

I was taught that you need a seperate set of gloves, brushes, files, and grinding wheels for stainless, carbon, and aluminum and you don't interchange them. As for affecting the corrosion resistance I'll defer that to someone else, as it was explained to me the reason for using seperate tools for each material was to prevent contamination.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

A properly hardened file (carbon tool steel) dedicated to stainless will not contaminate your stainless weld. The file should be so much harder than the stainless that virtually no carbon from the file is left on the stainless.

Look at Nicholson files. Old brand, very popular in the pipe trades for quality, hardness, sharpness, and overall reliability. I have a half-round double-cut bastard that's easily 30 years old, and I broke it in half (by accident), and still use it regularly.

Steve S
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Don't forget the chalk. :)
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.

Thanks for replys :)
-Markus-
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Markus,
I have regular carbon files I use for SS and have not had any problems thus far. My grandpa does food grade and has SS files for that. I do not know what brand he used but I did find some and would recommend the PFERD files. They make great products but these are not cheap. These files will outlast all of us if used correctly.
http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201j/index.html
-Jonathan
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I just bought a few from McMaster.com for my sanitary tool box...nice so far. They have a bunch of profiles available.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8248A15
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
newschoppafowah
    Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 pm

I use a Nicholson file to deburr 304 tubing, and it's been fine. I'm a long way from a seasoned pro, but I haven't had any weirdness that I know of as a result of the file.

Scotchbrite inside and out if you can, acetone, blah blah, you probably know that stuff already.

I bought one for AL, one for LC and one for SS, and a rat tail for LC that I needed to get out of some jam or the other. I keep the AL file in a sleeve on account of aluminum being real sensitive to contamination and I hate seeing junk floating in my aluminum puddle.
Sent from an earthen ditch outside Needles, CA using an awful lot of low voltage single strand wire.

It's a matter of flour and water and then there's the seasonings, which is a matter of salt and so forth and then you h-we interrupt this for the announc

Hey thanks guys ;)

I work in a food and pharmaceutical industries so that is reason why I'm after a stainless steel file rather than plain carbon.
Maybe a little overkill, but at least I have tried to prevent contamination :D

No I just need to order one, kjehkjeh :)
-Markus-
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

What about diamond files?
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.