General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

So i was building a material rack for my truck an decided on boltin it to the truck...(seemed easier to remove if need be)...but i drilled the hole a 1/4" off an i needed to plug it. Well i can't find my welding spoon so i asked a buddy from work if he had one or a piece of copper...an he told me to just clamp a cutoff wheel to the bottom an weld it...he said it works as good....Now i wanna try it just to see but Idk if i wanna do it on my project in fear of porosity with TIG. Has anyone have any thoughts on this???? When people say stuff like this to me a big part of me thinks that people are screwing with me! Lol
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I don't like the cut-off wheel idea for a few reasons. The wheel has glues/binders in it to hold it together and these will gas off into your weld. If you can back-grind afterwards, fine, but that's extra work.

A piece of aluminum will work fine, but I'd still advise washing the backside of the weld if you can reach it.

Personally, I'd fill it as an "open root" and not worry about backing.

Steve S
Adam's Got Skills

I don't have aluminum either...I'll probably have to (open root) do it that way...i mean i guess it don't matter really if it sugars really...im drilling part of it back out when i learn to read a tape again... :-) ...I can't believe i didn't double check it
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

It does work, however it stinks and contaminates the weld. For what you are doing you will be fine but it might be better to just fill it in without a backer. You do know not to reuse the cut off wheel right? Just making sure.
-Jonathan
Steve beat me to it :cry: takes to long to load photos.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (104.06 KiB) Viewed 624 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (104.12 KiB) Viewed 624 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (118.76 KiB) Viewed 624 times

Adam,
Do you have any old copper tubing from a waterline you can smash? If you opt to use a backing plate and don't want to spend much money, go to Lowes and buy a all piece of copper tube or fitting that will suit you and use it. I still vote for just filling in the hole without a backer.
-Jonathan
Adam's Got Skills

I got it done...it got pretty hot earlier an i wasn't drinking much water...so when i got a headache i came inside an made the post...i filled it just fine without a backing...Id just always done it at work to avoid sugarin...i always used copper or brass but it don't need to be that pretty it's just gotta hold some angles flat and whatever i gotta throw on it. AN YES I UNDERSTAND THAT U SHOULDN'T USE THE WHEEL after burning the hell out of it! :-P

Adam's Got Skills wrote: AND YES I UNDERSTAND THAT U SHOULDN'T USE THE WHEEL after burning the hell out of it! :-P
Just making sure! :D
-Jonathan