General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Greetings all. This is not so much a welding as a general shop question. I'm wanting to put an overhead trolley crane in my shop but don't want to spend a fortune. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I need a unit with powered xy trolley since I'm in a wheelchair and it would be hard to drag a manual one around. Thanks.
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

You can start here for ideas ... http://www.kundelcranes.com/
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150

Thanks. Looks like they may have just what I need.

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hmmm.

Have you considered setting this crane up where YOU can ride on it (like a shower chair or stair climber?), as well, so when your material is set up, YOU can move in three dimensions?

two cents...

Steve S
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

Steve, that's a great idea!
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150

I really like this idea :ugeek:

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Im not real sure about motorized trolleys but at work we've built the rails before with 3"/4" channel an spaced em with pieces of square stock in between...(1/2"/5/8")...an just being economical u could get a trolley that moves with a chain...almost like a chain fall but instead up an down the rail. We've done them with all kinds of bends. if u need it to do more than just moving straight you could make a rail switch for it either pneumatic or hydraulic or even manually with a long pole..the manual ones usually have a spring/springs an you really just kinda shove it an it does the rest. I just it would just matter how much u needed to lift but you could also just use a chain fall as ur hoist. Now i know an electric one would be easier an would b pretty sweet to have...they just start getting pricey. Ive been thinking about one for my workshop but personally I can't afford something that awesome. Btw i really do like the idea of riding the thing as well! Which i don't see any reason you couldn't do that with the manual set up Im describing. I guess it really just depends on what kinda coin you got to drop on something like that.You could also upgrade to a regular I-beam if u don't wanna fab your own rail system
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Here is one, but don't know if it qualifies since it doesn't have the motorized functionality your looking for.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-tele ... 69513.html