General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I have too much time on my hands right now, which inevitably leads to looking at and drooling over stuff for my shop. I've been looking at the Smithy Granite 1324 3-in-1 combo lathe/mill/drill press. Do any of y'all have experience with these? If so I'd love to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly :?:
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
    Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:43 pm

looking at thier website the machine seems ok in the lathe dept and weak in the mill dept not beefy enough. for the cost I think you can get good used iron provided you have the space. I have a sheldon lathe very worn ways and an index mill (vertical knee) ,I just picked up a very nice MSC 1325 lathe vintage 1989 for $300 off of CL Its made in Taiwan not china and is very good quality and rigid.Im not a fan of multi machines
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I'm a little skeptical of multi-machines myself. Still have bad memories of wasting money on an enduro back in the '80s. That said, My shop is quickly filling up and I must allow plenty of space around and between everything to be able to maneuver my chair. For a hobbyist it might do ok but right now it's just wishful thinking anyway :)
thanks for the input.
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

3 in one have limited functionality .
In addition the change over from funtion to function is at best, requires a man and 2 boys like one doesn't have enough hands/reach
more difficult from a chair,plus what" SPARKNESS" says
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)