General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
NashTheFlash
    Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:52 pm

right now i have to options in mind for when i graduate high school
1. Tulsa welding school (im sure you all are familiar) 7 months
2. pit state in Pittsburgh kansas- Bachelor of Science in Technology Degree with a Major in Automotive Technology with a focus on diesel and heavy machinery (diesel mechanic) 4 years
http://www.pittstate.edu/department/auto/four-year-dhe/

I have visited both schools- pitt has (as far as i can tell) just a basic welding class. i have to pick one because of $$$$$$

i have been working on cars since pretty much birth: trucks, race cars, equipment,ect and have been welding for a few years (just self taught+advise from a crappy high school shop teacher) and i like them both. i cant decide what one is best for me though and i don't know anybody that has perused either profession to talk to. i like to move around and not afraid to move to another country for a few years. Im a very hard worker, very business mined, and self motivated. i am also good at talking to people and i have already started my own business and would prefer to work for myself after i work in the industry for a few years. so my main questions are

1.what one is it easiest to start your own shop/repair company
2. what has the better job availability
3. where is the money at
4. are there any other better programs out there

i appreciate any input thanks in advance
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Welcome to the forum, and let me say i know exactly where you are coming from. I, myself have had a life long interest in automotive and mechanical workings. I also am self taught in welding.
My personal opinion would be go with the welding school. Your young enough to finish that, get out and get a job and make some money. Then even if you do that for 4 years and decide you want to give your other option a try, then you can go for it with money saved up. Finish that schooling, and have extra credentials that almost nobody in your class would have. Possibly opening even more doors for you.
You have more than a decade head start on what I'd like to be doing right now, and I don't think you would regret doing either option.
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

What dsmabe said!!!
I have a soldering iron!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Nash,

That's a tough question, but you've answered part of it in the way you asked.

A traveling welder, qualified for pipeline, with his own rig (and his own business, including liability insurance) can easily make over $100K per year. Companies pay you for your hours, your machine's hours, and a healthy per diem to live/camp where they need you. (The per diem is (Federally) tax-exempt unless you stay in one state for over a year.)

However, a top-notch deisel/heavy equipment mechanic can make that same $100K several years in with company-sponsored benefits and retirement, taking the burden of liability, health insurance and retirement planning off your shoulders.

I'm sure I've muddied the waters even more, but it's your decision to make.

Steve S
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Howdy, Nash.

Food for thought...

Folks I've known say automotive is a "young man's game", physically harder to do with age because of the contortions, time spent working overhead under a lift etc. It's also an increasingly computerized industry, if that's a good thing for you. Starting a shop has a lot of setup costs and monthly overhead compared to a nice welding rig.

However... automotive gets billed out at book time, not real time, so as you get better you can make a lot of money. Especially if you specialize - e.g., electronic systems on BMWs will pay better than brake jobs on Chevys.

It's also critical where you work to get started - doing fleet work in a corporate shop will not see those financial benefits, while working at a dealership will. Also, dealerships will fund specialization training because they need certified technicians to qualify for warranty work. A lot of guys can't / won't sacrifice the billing hours to take the free training - be the guy that does, and you can become the go-to guy over time.

Longer-term, I think owning a shop and having guys work for you will be where it's at financially. (My son is about 2 years ahead of where you're at, so we've spent a lot of time trying to figure this out,)

Conversely, welding is typically hourly pay with overtime - I.e., the same "book rate" multiplier effect isn't there. Guys doing really well financially are working a ton of hours to pull it off, and having to travel to work. My brother-in-law is a career union pipefitter (I.e., industrial construction, process piping in factories), and living/working across the country from his family for the next year because there's no work locally (and he's that deep in the queue for the next local job). No per diem on this job, so he's paying for 2 households.

Of course, there are ways to work the system. He tells a story about a welding couple who travel where the pay is, work like fiends for about 6 months at a premium rate with overtime, bank two very good incomes, then take the second part of the year off.

But there are always exceptions - I've known guys who got bonused for work volume in a production environment (mobile home fabrication) and made six figures without killing themselves doing it. Welding also offers the possibility of creating a product with high value (custom fabrication, etc.) that can pay far better than an hourly gig. But, like ownng an automotive shop, this is more about creating a business based on your skills, not just getting paid for your time.

Not trying to steer you either way, just some thoughts to consider. The tough part is, its tough to change your path once it's set - you get used to having an income, a car payment, your own place, etc., so putting everything on hold to go back to school is really hard to do.

FWIW,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
    Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 am

Do you have money for school or are you going to be using student loans?
First off I would choose the field you enjoy the most. Enjoying your career is very very important.
Second, If you have no money for school and haven't been in trouble as a youngster look at the military.
The Navy has all types of welders, even underwater nuclear welders. Also salvage diving work which you could transition into civilian work. Military training is all free. No college fund college means student loan payments and they are no joke.
The military also has heavy diesel mechanic and auto training. The military is a great way to learn to stand on your own 2 feet financialy also. Whether you stay in the service is always your decision.
Everlast 250EX
Everlast I-Mig275 w/ Alum Spool Gun
Everlast Plasma60
Everlast 300 Water Cooler
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I was a heavy-equipment/diesel mechanic and welder for years. Had a very well equipped service truck, practically a shop on wheels (crane, air compressor, and of course a welder. I was fortunate enough to afford a Lincoln Commander 400). I traveled quite a bit to various jobs my employer had. Road jobs, pipelines, dams, etc. I got to do a little fabricating but did a ton of repair welding on heavy equipment as well as all the mechanic work involved in keeping a fleet of trucks and earth-moving equipment going. This could be just what you're looking for, but it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea. The conditions are often harsh and dirty and the weather seems to have a particular hatred for field mechanics :lol:
I found the work enjoyable for the most part and made good money doing it. Just something to consider. Hope this helps.
Cheers.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'd say "NashTheFlash" has enough advice to digest, since he hasn't bothered to reply as to what information he finds valuable...

Let's give him a minute to absorb it all.

Hopefully, we've not overwhelmed him, and he'll reply.

Or at least take a moment to thank several people who spent the time to give well-thought-out advice.

Steve S